• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How High without unlocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

How high of an overclock can i get with an xp1600 agoia y without unlocking the cpu? How do you know when to stop before burning up pci/agp/memory? I have an ecs k7s5a with cheepoman bios that allows me to overclock up to 150fsb stable but without the divider, i'm afraid my pci/agp won't handle the speeds. Is there a way to get access to divider without unlocking the cpu?

Thanks

150 FSB probably won't bother your PCI and AGP devices.

There is no way to access any divider on the chip, this is a function of your motherboard. Your motherboard only support up to 1/4 divider. This will be fine at 150-160 FSB.

Unlocking the CPU would not be good. The ECS K7S5A reads unlocked chips as having a 12.5 multiplier, in my limited Duron experience. If your 1600+ can run at 2000+, then this might work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

unwrittenLaw said:
How high of an overclock can i get with an xp1600 agoia y without unlocking the cpu? How do you know when to stop before burning up pci/agp/memory? I have an ecs k7s5a with cheepoman bios that allows me to overclock up to 150fsb stable but without the divider, i'm afraid my pci/agp won't handle the speeds. Is there a way to get access to divider without unlocking the cpu?

Thanks

None of your components are ever going to "burn up" because of a high bus speed, they will simply make your system unstable. In other words keep pushing. Usually PCI should be okay up to 40-45 MHz(many times higher) and a good video card can handle over 80 MHz AGP bus.

I see no reason why your XP1600+ AGOIA won't run at 150fsb as long as your have good RAM and cooling. You might even be able to run at 166fsb if you're lucky.

I used to have a ks75a mobo and a XP1700+ that I had @ 11x150fsb super stable.

maxima88 said:
I see no reason why your XP1600+ AGOIA won't run at 150fsb as long as your have good RAM and cooling. You might even be able to run at 166fsb if you're lucky.

I used to have a ks75a mobo and a XP1700+ that I had @ 11x150fsb super stable.

I agree, 150 fsb shouldn't be much trouble unless its a motherboard related problem. Around 160 fsb you may start to see hdd corruption though.

I have it stable at 150mhz fsb...so would it be worth unlocking, or will my k7s5a not let me change the multiplier..? Just trying to figure out how high I can get this...I just ordered a volcano 9, so hopefully that will help more than my coolermaster (only 23cfm). Since this mobo won't do asnychronous 166/166 I tried using CPUFSB to up it in smaller increments than what my Bios will do, but it crashes..not sure if its heat or what..

I have it stable at 150mhz fsb...so would it be worth unlocking, or will my k7s5a not let me change the multiplier..?

The K7S5A will not let you change the multiplier.

Unlocking the CPU would not be good. The ECS K7S5A reads unlocked chips as having a 12.5 multiplier, in my limited Duron experience. If your 1600+ can run at 2000+, then this might work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Back