• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Hot Does Duron Run??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paupton

I just built my first Duron 1.2 for my fathers computer. It is running at 49* - 53* C, or about 125 - 133 F. Is this acceptable for the Duron? I skipped from the Slot A all the way to XP and dont know much about Duron or Tbird heat factors.
Any correct answers will be appreciated.
allan

ThePunkGeek

you much have forget thermal paste or the heatsink could be mounted wrong or many the fan failed.
if you have some thermal compund reseat the heatsink and that should fix the probelm (as long as the fan is moving)

walaka7

Thats too high for a duron
.. with decent hsf'f you should be running 90-100*f .. i am running a speeze alum/copper hsf (no big deal) lapped and running in that range with 10% overclock (900mhz @ 1000)
this is on two durons in an auto shop environment.. WHat is your system temp.. what kind of heatsink are you using? Is it lapped??
there are minor changes that need to be made so you can get some life out of your duron :eek:)

Oh btw.. If the temps start out right and move up slowly.. the you need to add case fans to get hsf some fresh air to cool the cpu with.. air flow through the case is as important as the hsf itself..

FRANK

paupton said:
I just built my first Duron 1.2 for my fathers computer. It is running at 49* - 53* C, or about 125 - 133 F. Is this acceptable for the Duron? I skipped from the Slot A all the way to XP and dont know much about Duron or Tbird heat factors.
Any correct answers will be appreciated.
allan

Post more system information.

Most onboard monitors are known not to be entirely accurate, particularly the ASUS Probe. If these temperatures are on an ASUS board as reported by ASUS Probe, then they are not necessarily out of line.

Good luck!

ZooomIT

Registered
my goodness is FRANK the overclocking FREAK?

wait you use peltier or water-cool with all those cpu's no?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Is the PC in the corner of a warm room? Have you got at least one extra cooling fan besides that in the PSU?

I would check the HSF - my Thunderbird 1100 runs at 47C under heavy load, 53C for a Duron isn't right.

I had a Duron 650 - ran nicely at 31C idle, 36C under load.

Dragonbud

Just to give you an idea on a 1gig duron i had a few months back.
1 gig duron idle at 37-38c, full load at 40-42c on 1.75vcore and ambient temp of 27c.

same duron .. 40-41c idle, and 45c full load on 1.85vcore with ambient temp.of 27.

I'm also getting the same specs. on a 1.3 duron i currently have.

these chips have a copper heat sink with a delta fan.
and of course some arctic silver II thermal paste.

hope this helps on what to shoot for...

does this sound right everyone?

OP
P

paupton

thanks for the quick response guys. I see from your posts that the temp is too high. I am using gigabyte mobo and stock HSF which I lapped to shiny finish. I also used artic silver. This mobo has a thermosensor like those on the Dig. Doc which is flat with yellow clear tape on it. I made it touch the bottom of the PCB on the CPU. I have two 80's cooling the mid size tower. I know this is a stock setup but seems like temps were high to me. I will do some more cooling before we send her off to the office.
Again thanks for the quick replys and sending me in the right direction.
allan