• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot for the KabyLake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
I just did an overclock on my i7700. Got 5 ghz with 1.35 volts. My temps seems to be a little high. I had one core reaching 95 max. Ran a stress test for an hour and was stable. Custom loop with 2x 240 rads.

1. Is it ok for one or two cores peak like that?
2. What is a safe CPU temp for the KabyLake?
3. When Im gaming it seems like its reaching 75-82°

https://ibb.co/ecsLGF

R_Pierce

Thats awful warm in my limited experience. Anything under 85*c seems to be the common answer. I believe they start to throttle at 100*c (not that I would want to run a chip that hot)

I would say you should probably look into a delid. You will likely have some pretty good temp drops.

Im running a delid i7700k at 5.1 @ 1.392 volts and peak at 65-67 during stress testing. Before the delid I was seeing mid 80's at 5.

**edit**

And you are running at 1.36 volts. Likely calling for 1.35 in BIOS I assume? Looking at your CPU-Z, its posting at 1.36.

trents

I just did an overclock on my i7700. Got 5 ghz with 1.35 volts. My temps seems to be a little high. I had one core reaching 95 max. Ran a stress test for an hour and was stable. Custom loop with 2x 240 rads.

1. Is it ok for one or two cores peak like that?
2. What is a safe CPU temp for the KabyLake?
3. When Im gaming it seems like its reaching 75-82°

https://ibb.co/ecsLGF

Your gaming temps are well within the safe range as is your vcore for 24/7 operation. Your stress test temps are on the cusp of being too high but when running real apps you are okay.

Tgrable

Personally anything over 80c is too hot for me. I would try to dial back the voltage or even drop to 4.9... too hot for my taste