• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inkpusher

I have a p41.7 ghz overclocked to 1.97 ghz....and the temp is running around 60degrees....is this to hot....the sytem seems pretty stable so far

Asus p4b
640 sdram
ATI 9700 pro
maxtor 60 gig hd

p4's tend to have lower heat output compared to amd's. make sure ur hsf has proper contact with the cpu core. u kud also tidy up ur cables using cable ties, use rounded cables, and maybe get a few more fans. :D

i would say 60C is too hot...try for atleast under 55, but under 50 is better

what is your vcore at?

spazzkid said:
p4's tend to have lower heat output compared to amd's. make sure ur hsf has proper contact with the cpu core. u kud also tidy up ur cables using cable ties, use rounded cables, and maybe get a few more fans. :D

Actually the Williamette's are very hot compared to AMD. His system overclocked right now is 102 watts + not calculating voltage according to this website: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

I would try a few things:

Upgrade the thermal paste to something good e.g. Arctic Silver 3 to get the best out of thermal transfer from the CPU Core to the heatsink

Better heatsink

Airflow

Back