• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How important is THD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

Is anything below 1% inaudible? Would a receiver with 0.05% in stereo mode, sound better than one with 0.9%?

I was just wondering because I am currently looking to buy a receiver.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Randyman...

Speakers will often have distortions on the order of 10% (Actually VERY clean for a driver) up to 25%, or higher in cases. The TRANSDUCERS are the weak link in any system, and this is where the largest improvements in sound can be had IMO...

I think power and headroom along with damping factors are way more important than THD on an amp. So the amp is .1% cleaner - the speakers are still DWARFING that "improvement" IMO... :cool:

Randyman...

Total Harmonic Distortion.

Tells how much "Changing" (Distortion) the amp is doing to the original waveform (the lower, the better). The perfect amp would spit out an IDENTICAL image of the original waveform, just increased in amplitude, and with loads of added current to drive the low impedance drivers (speakers). Any deviation from this is "Distortion", and ANY system WILL have distortion (no system is "Perfect")... ESPECIALLY speakers! :cool:

Azzkiller

Randyman... said:
Total Harmonic Distortion.

Tells how much "Changing" (Distortion) the amp is doing to the original waveform (the lower, the better). The perfect amp would spit out an IDENTICAL image of the original waveform, just increased in amplitude, and with loads of added current to drive the low impedance drivers (speakers). Any deviation from this is "Distortion", and ANY system WILL have distortion (no system is "Perfect")... ESPECIALLY speakers! :cool:

Well THD doesnt necessarily cover all distortion though. Only harmonics of the original signal. IMD and crossover distortion can be non harmonic in nature and might not show up on a THD test.

Randyman...

Intermodulation and "Crossover" distortion will obviously "Change" the signal, and werer covered in my blanket "ANY DEVIATION" is distortion comment ;)

Azzkiller

Randyman... said:
Intermodulation and "Crossover" distortion will obviously "Change" the signal, and werer covered in my blanket "ANY DEVIATION" is distortion comment ;)

Oh I thought you meant THD by "changing"

My bad :eek:

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
The real question is: If you've lived with inferior sound up until this point, will you be able to hear the difference?

Most likely not. Randyman (and a few other members as well) can probably hear distortion instantly, but for the majority of people, there will be no discernable difference. No two person's ears hear things the same way.