• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How in the heck do I manually update Neverwinter Nights?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

Allright, I just picked up NWN along with my sister and her bf. And surprise surprise we go to get started and we are getting random drops and server errors when trying to play multiplayer on a LAN. So today I dl the update to it, but with all of us (sis and her bf) being on 28.8 connections I dl the update manually rather than going through the auto update so that my sis and her bf (and that way I have it for a reformat). But now I cannot figure out how to install it so that the game recognizes that it has been patched. I did like the website says to do for a manual update, but it still isnt working right. This is freaking rediculous, I am starting to feal like I waisted another $30 again on a game. I see that there has been 29 freaking patches for what is supposed to be a great game. By the way, I did dl the latest patch, #29 in a long series of them. I also dl'ed the patch to update the auto patcher. Suggestions will be mucho mucho appreciated.

Last edited:

Flashfx2

I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirements for the game are but it might just be that you are on a 28.8 modem. Maybe you aren't getting enough bandwidth and keep lagging out of games.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
yea, the bandwidth requirements strain my friends 56ks when i play with them, i think it being a 28.8 connection is your problem.

as for it having a lot of patches BioWare has been doing a good job at keeping game hacks and exploits to a minimum, while consistantly adding new content both in the form of items/monsters and modules

OP
TUK101

TUK101

My 28.8 connection is lagging me out of LAN games? That is the wierdest thing that I have ever heard lol. Maybe I didnt specify in my first post that when I was playing with my sis and her bf we where on a LAN at thier house.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
haha, i guess then your 28.8 modem is very tempermental to cause such outbursts during lan games :) sorry i cant help ya much with the manual update, i did download it once and tried to patch myself but it just confused me and then i auto-updated, if at all possible maybe you could leave the pc on overnight and patch it when no ones usin it usin the auto updater, or are you suffering disconnects from the auto-update server as well?

OP
TUK101

TUK101

Nah, disconnects arent a real problem. I just like to have the update on hand so that when at a LAN party if somebody needs the same version as I am on I can just send them the patch. Not to mention that if/when I need to reformat it is nice to have the patch already on disc so that all I have to do is run it, and not spend 2 hours dling it. That there is why I want to know how to manually patch it. The website doenst give very good instructions on it and I have already dled it, I just cant figure out how to get the auto updater to see that I have already dled the f'ing thing like the website says that it will.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
hmm i see where your comin from, and i remember what a 28.8 was like so as soon as i get around to installing NWN again, i formatted last week :) ill try to manually do it again, see if i come up with anythin for ya

OP
TUK101

TUK101

Sounds good. I already dled the update for myself, but knowing how to do it manually off of the dled patch that I dled for doing it manually would be nice. That way I could update anybody that decided to play on the LAN with me that doesnt already have the patch.