• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this A64 gaming rig??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KeepItCool101

EPoX "EP-8KDA3J"
AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache
2 sticks of Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
ANTEC Performance Plus Metallic Gray SOHO File Server Case(buying 3 more fans for hd bay, side window and the fan on the bottom)
NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive ( Cheap and has fast CD burns fast )
2 Westen Digital 80gb HD's
Fortron 530W Power Supply
9800 pro 128mb

Just getting ready to finalize my parts list since im ordering in a few weeks.( Do not say get a x800pro or something because im not rich)

hooah

Its not bad, pretty much same rig as i have. I'd look into better memory if its in the budget though and i'd ditch the two hard-drives for either a 36 or 74GB Raptor (depending if you need alot of space or not). Rest looks pretty good though, especially the EPOX board, these things are good.

We would have the same CDRW, Video, motherboard, CPU.

I'd also get a VGA Silencer and mod it with 2x80mm fans to get your max overclock from the 9800 pro.

Lat

you might want to get a 6800gt or an x800pro...huge performance boost over the 9800pro if you're willing to invest an extra ~$200 in a next-gen vid card

gunman

Registered
sounds good, looks like mine pretty much except a 3000+ instead of 3200, i love my new 9800 pro, i got the sapphire bulk version from newegg for 195, good deal i love it :D

hooah

KeepItCool101 said:
Just getting ready to finalize my parts list since im ordering in a few weeks.( Do not say get a x800pro or something because im not rich)

A 9800 Pro will be more then good enough until more funds are available and the price comes down on the x800 pro. Thats why I suggested the 74GB Raptor, I think they are on sale at newegg right now and it will not become outdated in the next 2 years or so. The x800 is like $370-$400 and in a year there will be another top of the line video card so the x800 will drop in price and you should be able to grab a x800XT.

Jess1313

I would look into better ram, the 9800 pro is good. Just cool it good & clock it & it will do what you need. The ram will be worth the invest because it will decide how good you CPU overclock if running 1:1 mem. You DO want to run 1:1 mem & with the tightest timings you can get. This will give you the most out of you rig & if you need more later the Uber vid is all you would need to change. IMO the clawhammer 1m CPU would be the best for gaming, the 1m of cashe really helps. The new games really will stress this & 1g of mem would be best for gaming if you can swing it.(makes a big diff)

A64skate

RC64 said:
Only problem is that the board doesn't have native sata and he would need to buy a card in order to use a raptor.
Um, yes it does. It has two SATA ports right above the video card. I am getting that board next week and I have looked into it.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
LilBuddy said:
i would suggest getting a little bit lower of a power supply, use the money to get better ram

I would not agree with that. With today's video card's powerhouse's and 2x80gb hard drive your going to need some power and IMO the forton 530 is a great deal for the $ maybe get one stick now and one later down the road but by all mean's dont short yourself of power.

Jess1313

jonspd said:
I would not agree with that. With today's video card's powerhouse's and 2x80gb hard drive your going to need some power and IMO the forton 530 is a great deal for the $ maybe get one stick now and one later down the road but by all mean's dont short yourself of power.

Yea what he said, but no matter how much mem you get (you can buy more latter) GET GOOD MEM.

And the fultron is good for the money, dont slack on PSU. or mem. These a64s like alot of power & there performance thrives on the mem.

CandymanCan

Disabled
If you havent orderd already i would suggest highly recomend that u not get the Geil ram.

I would look for some Samsung Single sidded pc3200 sticks. Double sidded sticks of ram of any kind seem to have some probs with A64 boards.