• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is this for a 1st H2O/Pelt System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buzzdog

I am trying to plan and design my first extreme cooling system. Below are the components I am thinking of going with.

Case-Antec SX1240
Eheim 1048 pump
Innovatek Aluminum Tank
Swiftech MCW478-UT
Swiftech MCW40-T
2 Chevette Heatercores with 130cfm 120mm fans with shrouds mounted to the top of the case exhausting air out
Samlex America 320w Model #S320-12 PSU for the pelts.
Modify everything for 1/2 system.

My logic, please throw in your own experience to help save me from trouble if I am going in the wrong direction.

I chose this case for its massive room inside. There should not be a problem with mounting everything inside and keep it clean. The water pump was chosen for its popularity and reliablity. I went with the tank for easy of filling and bleeding, plus it will mate right up next to the pump. I am going with the swifty's for a couple of reasons. They got a good review here at overclockers.com. Swiftech has a reputation for building quality pieces. I also like the ease of use of having the pelt/coldplate set up already. I want to go with 2 heater cores in series, 1 next to each other on the top of the case. I could probally get semilar results by finding a larger heater core with the same surface area and just building a larger shroud for it, I want to try to keep my water as cool as possilble so the pelts can work at max effiency. I plan on making a shroud to help direct the flow of air over the heater core. Would I gain much by doubling up on the number of fans and build shrouds for both sides of the heater cores and set the fans up in a push pull? Giong with the power supply solely based on it is the one suggested by swiftech, and I was told by sidewinder that it would handle both pelts. I plan on setting everything with 1/2" barbs for increased flow. Things I did not mention above, I plan on using the swiftech relay circuit for the pump and pelt power supplie circuit. Going to go with 1/2" Tygon tube for the system.

Let the comments flow. Will this be a good cooling solution?

Thanks in advance
Buzzdog

The Swiftech MCW478-UT has a 226watt pelt. The Swiftech MCW40-T has a 40watt pelt I believe.

Buzzdog

Sounds like a good set-up. Today is the day I get to try my MCW462-UHT. Only thing I would change would be the pump. I would go with the Eheim 1250. If you want to mod for 1/2". Why not get the MCW462-UHT. After all it comes with 1/2" barbs.

Please let me know how this project goes. I'm looking to buy a 25x100 P4 and want to do some extreme overclocking. I've thought about adding pelts to my plans, but I'm on the edge, at the moment. I've got most of the water-cooling supplies for it so far, but I'm not yet in a hurry. (I'm waiting for the i850 and i845 PE chipsets which should support AGP 8X.)

Ok I am thinking of changing my chose of cases. I am considering the Lian-Li PC-75. I am not sure hot true it was, but I read a review of this case and they said compared to the chieftek(antec) case that the temps actually were lower with the Lian-Li. Anyone that has experience with this case please let me know if you liked it and if it did actually lower your temps.

Buzzdog

Back