• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long before you OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twenty6

I'm getting all my parts in the mail as we speak. My new setup is:
2.6C
IC7
2X256 Corsair PC3200
I was just wondering how long I have to wait before I can start to OC? After running some burn-in test? Also is there difference in OC if i have 2X256 versus 2X512 memory? One thing have not decide is whether to go liquid cooling. Initially I had plan to use Swiftech 4000 and now after reading a bit more liquid cooling sounds fun but costly, $50 versus $200. Hhmmmmm.... I dunno. What do you think?

Ec]-[oMaN

i would let the rig run for a day or two then overclock the **** outta it,yeah watercooling helps overclocking much,if you think its alot here it costs 500$ for a good watercooling kit like the swiftech

OP
twenty6

twenty6

Thanks for the welcome texasfit. I know watercooling is expensive but $500, damn. I know watercooling if way fun but I think I'm gonna stick with air cooling. It's not like I can OC my 2.6C to 5.0 lol. Swiftech 4000 is good enough for me. So it's safe to OC once I install XP and burn-in programs are not necessary?

texasfit

Burnin IMHO is a myth

I have yet to see any advantage to burnin on any chip that I have overclocked. Most of the ppl that oc will put their new rig together and within a couple of hours will be pretty close to their max oc.

KnowlesTech

I want to be a Beta Tester
I OC on the get go... Seems to be more stable if the poor chip thinks it is that fast from the start :D this is a prefrence thing though...

AZN

AznSniper
nothing wrong with that. my RZ chips gets first boot at 175fsb

kestrel

Ec]-[oMaN said:
i would let the rig run for a day or two then overclock the **** outta it,yeah watercooling helps overclocking much,if you think its alot here it costs 500$ for a good watercooling kit like the swiftech

-takes the crackpipe away from Echo-

You can make an outstanding DIY watercooling kit for $150-$200. The only part you really need to get from a professional is your waterblock. The rest is either very cheap, (1/2in tubing, fittings, DIY tank) or easily scrounged, (good quality auto/motorcycle heatercore, high-output pump). A well made DIY kit will outperform any commercial pre-made setup that I've ever seen.

OP
twenty6

twenty6

Well, actually there was a thread by Maxvla, if I'm not mistaken. I'm kinda following Maxvla's route on DIY watercolling setup. It all comes out to almost $200. Not sure if I want to spend that much money considering I'm not an extreme OC.

Maxvla

yep. i went for a TC4 for about 50 dollars with a custom p4 mount made by neomoses and a danner mag3 which was about 45. clearflex60 tubing also from neomoses for about a dollar a foot (10). and i bought a dtek radiator with attached aluminum evercool 120mm fans and shrouds all silver in a push/pull configuration from x2sandman for about 60 dollars shipped. add a few bucks here and there for some fittings and the total comes to about 170-175 dollars.

OP
twenty6

twenty6

Cool. Did you get everything installed? How do you like the setup so far? I really think liquid colling is fun and look sooo cool but cost wise, not sure if I want to spend the money unless someone can convince ontherwise. Maxvla, did you get a resovior (spelling?) with your setup?

micamica1217

twenty6 said:
Cool. Did you get everything installed? How do you like the setup so far? I really think liquid colling is fun and look sooo cool but cost wise, not sure if I want to spend the money unless someone can convince ontherwise. Maxvla, did you get a resovior (spelling?) with your setup?

yeah,

<------looks cooool.

btw, if your room temps get real hot at one time or another...
the water rig may be what you need.
plus it's quieter then 4 case fans and a HSF.:D

water cooling....... for those who need the "wetness".

mica

Maxvla

twenty6 said:
only thing i've received so far is the pump so i have no idea how i like my setup yet :)

and no i will be using a T pipe for filling and bleeding.

OP
twenty6

twenty6

I see. Dteck stuff look so coool. I'm kinda confused with water cooling. I know basically the components needed and stuff, but how much water can the setup handle and where do you fill the water. I can see the big picture but where do you actually fill the water. I'm beginning to go towards water cooling but still not sure.