• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do you wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squirrel9000

Registered
How long do you wait before starting to overclock your system? Is there a certain length of time that you wait or do you just jump right into it?

Determine stability of the op sys
Start tweaking
Keep a record of everything done
One at a time only
bench everything
stability would have to include a time frame, usually at least a week error free is good if you use the rig alot. At that point if something happens take a note of it and go back one step.

with my 1700+ once I got the bugs worked out (basically had a MB get funny on me and had to wait for a new one) I started immediately since I had a good chip. I did spend a few weeks with the CPU in a test rig to leave my main rig stable.

About twenty minutes....

Long enough to verify windows is as stable as windows can be and time to run a handfull of benchmarks at stock speeds.

Put my 'puter together, got all the good drivers on, ran 3DMark 2k1, determined it was stable and everything was working good. Started overclocking it.

I usually wait a little longer depending on how much I spent, sometimes I do a quick check on the boards here to see how much people have got the same product to overclock and work from there. This is mostly because I'm fairly new to overclocking, and although I don't mind taking the risk, I don't want to end up spending more b/c of a newbie mistake.

I jumped right in!

I had help on the forum for building my computer, so once I got it up and running, I started o/c! I also made a few mistakes, but got them all sorted out eventually. Just keep your over clock in check, make small improvements, and watch your temps!

I am running a small overclock at the moment because of heat issues.

Have fun!

E

I can't overclock my box as the Mobo won't let me (see sig) I used to have it overclocked via the FSB when I had an 800Mhz Duron, got it up to 857Mhz stable. Can't overclock the 1.2 Thunderbird though, it just won't allow it in the bios.....someday I'll get a better board.........hopefully.....

So most of you just start to overclock as soon as you get your computer running? :eek: Wow I would have thought that you waited a bit longer than that.

I test my junk at stock for 24 hours then go to town assuming all the previous tests have passed. i.e. Prime95/Folding. . etc....

Z

Back