• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long has the right click menu existed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zim2411

When was the right click menu first implented? Year or OS.

Id like to know cuz this article on slashdot:

Apple: Microsoft Bites Apple, Apple Bites Back

Posted by pudge on Monday May 12, @02:31PM
from the i'll-get-the-popcorn dept.
hype7 writes "The NYT (free reg reqd etc) is running an interesting article on where MS seems to be getting all the ideas for its next big OS release, Longhorn. It's only a quickie, but they look at MS's big news from WinHEC, and their possible sources for inspiration. They also pull out that fantastic Bill Gates quote: 'The one thing Apple's providing now is leadership in colors'; and that Apple execs are now having a laugh of their own over how Longhorn, 'Microsoft's 2005 version of its Windows operating system, apes features that have been in Apple's OS X operating system since 2001.'"

It seems like Msoft should be laughing at apple. Only in 2001 did they offer a right click menu. Msoft has been doing that since at least 1995. (Win95)
Also the Dock is very similar to the system tray. It is an area to get notifications, see whats running, an area to minimize stuff to and an area to launch stuff from. Sound familiar? Throw on some graphics, and some fancy minimize effects, and a little zooming, and you've got a dock.

Anyway, id like to know if the right click menu existed before that. I've used win3.1 before, but for like... 5 minutes.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Zim2411 said:
When was the right click menu first implented? Year or OS.

It seems like Msoft should be laughing at apple. Only in 2001 did they offer a right click menu. Msoft has been doing that since at least 1995.

Kinda tough to right click when all you had was a one button mouse :p

SpyderMatrix

win95 first "offical" implementation as Audioaficionado said the Calmira II shell had it because i used it myself long ago