• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Long Untill...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

How long do you think it will be untill Nvidia or ATI come out with a card with a clock (probally memory clock) of 1ghz and use it wayy too much for advertisement? I can see it on the boxes now "NEW 1ghz MEMORY!" "Play your games at 1ghz!!!"

Also, how on earth will they cool the memory if they are still useing the same memory structure as they do now?

Will Eatforfood

???????ok...........

I don't think any PCs in the next 2-3 years can utilize one gig cards....Besides, it is all about the games.And creators would never create games out-of-spec of the normal public...Why go above and beyond the call......As for cooling, unless the core is somehow dynamically redesigned, they can always use mini-pelterizing sys, or even........who knows.....

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

Well I thought that the 9800 XT has a memory clock of 730 and you could probally get it to 800+ so it seems that they will be able to hit 1ghz (1000mhz) sometime in 2004.

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
well, if your talking about effective speeds (ddr) then some overclocked fxs are already getting that, but we are still probably 1-1.5 years off from actually 1ghz clocks, the 9600 can already be overclocked to 600mhz or so, i would imagine they could get the core speed over a gig if they wanted, but at what performace cost? the 9800 is clocked lower and still does more

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

Oh, wow. I never knew that it had a 1ghz memory clock. Ok how long untill we can get a core speed of 1ghz??

snyper1982

im going to say it will be around 2 1/2 - 3 years, before we see a card with stock core clock speed of 1 ghz.