• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how loud is the fop-38?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Potatoehead

Registered
I have an elight case with a 300watt power supply and an intake fan too and
I can hear the pc outside the room itself when I walk near the room.
Will the delta fan's really be noticeable on the fop-38 or an alpha with a delta
on it? I have a dell a work, and that thing is really quiet, so are the people complaining about the loudness the people with really quiet machines at work?

AKDUDE

Its friggen loud dude. Put a hair dryer in your pc, thats about what it would sound like. (well maybe not that bad)
AKDUDE

Tachyon

I am using one right now in a test setup and get a low grade headache after just a few minutes of being next to the thing.

Richard

Listen for yourself.

Mr. Potatoehead (Mar 01, 2001 05:31 p.m.):
I have an elight case with a 300watt power supply and an intake fan too and
I can hear the pc outside the room itself when I walk near the room.
Will the delta fan's really be noticeable on the fop-38 or an alpha with a delta
on it? I have a dell a work, and that thing is really quiet, so are the people complaining about the loudness the people with really quiet machines at work?

Lucky

Registered
LOL holy man i didnt realize it was that loud sh!t that is a hairdryer

Richard

Yeah, I think a lot of websites are doing people an injustice by popularizing this fan. The Alpha PEP66 with a Sunon 5000 rpm fan puts out a fraction the noise but works just as well.

Every 6 dB is a doubling of loudness. Or so I've heard.

Lucky (Mar 01, 2001 06:32 p.m.):
LOL holy man i didnt realize it was that loud sh!t that is a hairdryer

noluck

hehe I just learned in my physics class that its every three decibels it doubles. But the real reason I posted was that I wanted to know is if the fop-38 is comparable to the new vantec and which one is closes the the Swiftech MC370-0A. I have read from some sites that they compare all about the same but one site in particular showed that the swiftech ran about 2 degrees Celsius cooler than the fop. that site did not have the vantec on it. I know that most of you like the alphas but I have chosen to go a different route.

Richard

Well, you need to go read that webpage I posted regarding dB meaning.

When two sound sources of equal intensity or power are measured together, their combined intensity level is 3 dB higher than the level of either separately. Thus, two 70 dB cars together measure 73 dB under ideal conditions. However, note that when the AMPLITUDE of a single sound is doubled, its level rises 6 dB.

See the difference?

noluck (Mar 01, 2001 08:20 p.m.):
hehe I just learned in my physics class that its every three decibels it doubles. But the real reason I posted was that I wanted to know is if the fop-38 is comparable to the new vantec and which one is closes the the Swiftech MC370-0A. I have read from some sites that they compare all about the same but one site in particular showed that the swiftech ran about 2 degrees Celsius cooler than the fop. that site did not have the vantec on it. I know that most of you like the alphas but I have chosen to go a different route.

noluck

I have read nothing on that site that deals with the vantec or the Swiftech. If I am missing something here from the site you posted earlier that seems to be an over-site on my part I appolize but I cannot find anything about them.

And who cares about physics anyway? All I learned how to do is find the decibels if you increase the intensity(loudness). When I doubled the intensity I found that it rose exactly 3 decibels... oh well...

Richard

I see you missed what I was saying.

Regardless, there have been several heatsink tests right here on overclockers.com. Swiftech's heatsinks always seem to score favorably. Question is, are they worth the cash?

At some point a heatsink is a heatsink is a heatsink. You're not going to get a whole lot better than what's currently out there. 1 or 2 degrees celsius is not worth a 100% price increase. Especially, when in most cases the added performance is due to strapping on a monster fan.

There are many very good heatsinks out there right now. Taisol, Swiftech, Globalwin, Alpha, and Vantec; all have high performance heatsinks.

noluck (Mar 01, 2001 09:02 p.m.):
I have read nothing on that site that deals with the vantec or the Swiftech. If I am missing something here from the site you posted earlier that seems to be an over-site on my part I appolize but I cannot find anything about them.

And who cares about physics anyway? All I learned how to do is find the decibels if you increase the intensity(loudness). When I doubled the intensity I found that it rose exactly 3 decibels... oh well...

OP
Mr. Potatoehead

Mr. Potatoehead

Registered
richard999, wow thanks for the link on the sound bits.
It is really load, I have the gorb right now. The delta's sound louder than
the power supply fan.

klosters64a

The link to the sound of various HSF's is a great idea. The sound pressure level is difficult to accept at face value, because everybody's Soundcards, speakers and volume settings are different. The Delta 38's sound footprint is even more annoying than the German site's .wav file. It's higher pitched, and is undoubtedly the most irritating noise to ever come from a PC. The rpm of this black "beauty" also wavers a bit after the fan is ~six months old. It assures one of an extra special audio relationship with one's PC!

Why the HELL do my PIIIE's run hotter than a LOT of other people's? I'm gonna remove the PEP-66 and Delta beatch from my P3E. And replace it with a FOP-32 I already have. **Please see March 2nd's magnificent article on how to easily mod a FOP-32/38 to run an 80mm case fan in place of the Delta mohuncher from hell. It's on OCer's.com's Home Page.** I'm gonna do it! If I break the spindly wire fan attachment jobby--that's OK! It'll be worth it. I hate this Delta bastid!!!