• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many chips have you killed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Killed my friends 1.2 at my first lan game.Ug used way to much thermal paste when remounting my friends worthless heat sink.I cant remember who made it but it was huge.Big aluminum brick with all these holes drilled in it.The clips that came with it were crap.You had to have three hands to mount the stupid thing.While pressing down on the heat sink you had to screw two of the screws on the side.

AMD k6/2 500: cpu fan failed causing cpu damage. system ran for 3 days then bit the dust. motherboard still ok.

AMD xp 1800: cpu fan failure on volcano 9 heat sink. cpu temp when discovered, 129ºC.

Have yet to kill an intel cpu.

Heh, I just killed a 2200+ AIRGA. Chipped the core. Just got back from CompUSA, I picked up a 2400 AIUCB 0241. Let's see if I can be more careful.

i've been through hundreds of processors.....never killed a one. Although I did have a frightful experience w/ two Celly 466's on a BP6 peltier cooled years back. They DID survive.

ive killed a geforce 2 mx.........lol
almost killed an XP 2000
lets just say cutting bridges is not for natural eyesight...lol
the chip was litterally dead
ive resurrected it but it only comes up as an XP 1700
no more or less
I have however ressurected about 4 other "dead" cpus!

Proud to say I've never killed a piece of hardware of any kind. And I have built 10+ systems and repaired/upgraded numerous others as well as having my box apart at least twice a month for upgrades, repairs tweaks etc.

Last edited:
AMD T-Bird 1.4ghz AHJYA or whatever. Bought it chipped, worked fine for awhile then when I replaced the heatsink, it died. :cool:

I fryed my Athlon 1ghz t-bird when my voltage mod came off and shot the voltage well over 2 volts

i screwed my athlon xp 1700+ when i cut too deep trying to cut some bridges......
that was fun tho cause i took it apart afterwards and took a good look at all the layers

i need to get me a new cpu for that system now
i was thinking about getting one of these:

1700+ t-bred
1800+ t-bred
or
2400+

also fryed the mem on my gf2 gts
good thing i had a voodoo5 in my athlon 600 system

i'll prob be getting a new vid card to replace that too...

i would like to get one of those albatron ti4200p turbo cards
dunno why they didn't make a turbo version with agp 8x (not like it's a big deal i just like having the latest)

i'm too lazy to spend a bunch of money tho...
it just isn't fun anymore for some reason
guess i gotta get my life together first
:eh?: :( :p :rolleyes: :beer:

Never killed a cpu. Only four victims so far (and none in the past year): (1) crappy PSU, (1) crappy Abit VA6 mobo, and (2) harddrives.

Knowledge, caution, and some common sense = no dead components.

Or in my case- bravery, stupidity and the pursuit of more megaherz.

Add another to my list of dead products:
Last night I decided to mess with my #1 rig again and drop voltage to see if I could gain some more OC headroom; standard practice of mine and usually works.

Problem is that with winter temps and an external radiator I needed all 130watts of heat to keep my coolant liquid.....or more antifreeze in the mix.

At some point last night some water formed ice and blocked my radiator: I woke up to a Swiftech waterblock that had gotten so hot it melted the quick disconnects for the tubing!!!

I will test both mobo and cpu separately, because I'm like that;) but I am certain that both are gone:(

RIP agoia y 0213 and heavily volt-modded Epox 8kha+: you will be missed.

Killed: 2

AGIOA 2100XP ,heatsink jumped off , clips suck a$$.
AGIOA 1600XP Y , lets jsut say Im very deppressed and not go there.

Lets see, 1- Duron 600 = bad unlock,2-Tbird 1400's bad heatsink contact, 1-Xp2000+ Died in shipping,1-Agoia y 1600+ bad heatsink contact,possible others,pretty bad record for 25 cpu's total,I am getting much more careful and rushing alot less now.

mamer

Anyone who still has a couple or more dead chips laying around and would want to get a few bucks for them please let me know. I've got a small collection of old processors and I like to get one of each type, but I usually wait until they're pretty much obsolete before buying them. I figure that getting dead ones would be a cheap way of picking newer ones up though.

So far I have killed only one CPU. It was my fav 1.1T-Bird OCed like a S.O.B. happened when I put it in my KT400 Draogn Ultra. I guess I didn't have the HSF on tight enough and it fried.

Back