• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many chips have you killed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does a power supply count?

You know, youd think when a PS got a surge a fuse would blow? But nooo, it just decided to short some wires together and start pumping out some GOD-AWFUL black smoke. And the damn kept running like nothing just happened.

Good ol Intel 40mhz comps. Try to get a northwood to stay up under that.

none, but I killed 2 floppies one after the other, one from breaking a platic jumper and the other by trying to fix the first (opened the casing, it magnetised itself)

I'll tell ya a real phun way to fry a floppy drive. Put sand paper on the inside and put matches around the spinning wheel in the middle then douse it with a lil alcohol and stick her in :). Also, I've broken a XP 1500+ by pushing a tad bit too hard on the heatsink/fan when installing it. Hey, s**t happens.

I only killed one... A Pentium III 933.

I swear I thought that I had the HSF attached all the way...LOL

Last week, two Athlon XP 2400+ CPU's - one fried as the result of a misguided attempt to obtain the lower multipliers - I guess I got the conductive paint in the wrong place. This in turned fried my Motherboard. Not knowing the MB was fried I replaced the fried CPU with an identical, non-fried one which promptly fried as soon as I plugged it into the fried MB and tried to boot up. After I replaced the MB and got a new 2600+ cpu all is well.

2-3 years ago, a K6-3 450 trying to OC it, got the voltage too high I do believe. I seem to recall zapping a K6-2 400 in the same way right around that time.

9 or more years ago a 486DX2/66 bit the big one when I spilled coke on the MB as I was installing some new RAM. I thought I had gotten it all off and everything had dried out, I found out via the smell and the smoke when I tried to boot up that I was wrong (that cost me a new MB as well).

:D

Never killed a cpu. I hope I never will. Don't worry, I have killed plenty of other things, like motherboards and stuff.

I killed a 850Mhz Duron after crushing the core! worked for around a year with a crushed core! lol! And a 1800+ after not unlocking it right!

I murdered a Duron 1.1GHz, Athlon 1.3GHz (Tbird), and a 1600+ Palomino. The 1600+ wasn't my fault though. My friend did it (that b@$t@rd)

ive never fried a cpu (knock on wood) but i just fried my A7V333-X this past thursday :mad:i had a hankerin' for 200MHz FSB and the fear of a 40MHz PCI didnt scare me...until i got HDD corruption, and after 3 days of diagnosis ive come to find i blew the IDE controller :( but i got some replacement parts today (see sig) and i think it all happened for a reason.

I killed a Duron 950, Athlon T-bird 1.1 GHz, and a Palomino 1700+. The 1.1 GHz died during a short circuit of one of the power rails, I ended up destroying the video card, motherboard, PSU, HDD and the T-bird. So sad.

Back