• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how many clients/pc's can be connected to Win 7 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dito

I am using XP home and have a total of 6 computers connected in a wired ethernet network. i need one more, but when i try to connect it says i have reached the maximum allowed computers connected to the network. does anyone know what the limit is for Win7 Pro? I only need one more and it is worth it to go to Win 7 (which I use on my personal network)just for this. Thanks for your help!

OP
dito

dito

i forgot, i also have a network printer attached so it's 7 total on XP Home, i need one more to make it 8. Anyone know if this will work on Win 7 Pro? or even XP Pro?

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
You talking about a limit of ICS clients? I didn't even know there was one... And I think windows shares (files) are limited to 10 clients. What limit are you talking about though?

OP
dito

dito

um, ok, i'm not sure if im using the correct terminology. i have file sharing on a network, i have 6 pc's and a printer. i need 7 pc's and a printer on a network. only 7 total will work on xp home, was considering going to Win 7 Pro since i like it, especially if it will handle 8 total file sharing "ports"

OP
dito

dito

I built the pc with Win 7 pro, not sure what the limit is but 7 pc's and a printer DO WORK sharing files from it. I guess there is no limit on how many pc's you can have on a network, but the limit is how many can access a specific pc. Win 7 Pro solved my problem, so all is good...

Hipcrostino

it'll be some limit built into XP home now doubt. There should be no limits on XP pro or vista/7 pro either as they are for corporate enviroments with 1000s of computers on the same network (well practically as subnets allow)

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
I think XP Pro has a limit of ten simultaneous connections. Otherwise, how would Microsoft milk that extra money outta small businesses? ;) I'm surprised that a home version would be limited to LESS than ten though, or any version for that matter.