• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many fans can I run off of one 4 pin molex "chain" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

The 4 pin fans I have have a 4 pin molex with a pass through connector so it wont hog the 4 pin molex connector from the PSU. So how many fans can I safely "chain" together from the same 4 pin molex connector coming from the PSU?

btw, Its an Antec 430 watt True PSU. And I'm not going to be using the "fan only" connectors. Just the plain old 4 pin molex connectors.

JudgeDredd

You could put as many you want, but it might actually slow your fans down. Me and a friend encountered this too. We put four fans on a connector, and then just put two on one connector, and the fans were a little louder then. ;)

witchhunter

Registered
I doubt anout that "as many as you want" thing. Molex cables are rather thin, so you wouldn't want too much current going through them. As I remember, 2.5mm copper cable can carry ~6A on 12V... dunno about the "size" of the molex cables... anyone could tell how muhc current can be taken from those on 12V?

equalizr

did an experiment with my Enermax 431W psu...

hooked up the volt meter and it read 12.41 ..then i hooked my mean Delta 80mm 1.35Amp fan and it only went down to 12.34v

a normal case fan is only about .13-.25amp ...so take the math from there :)