• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many of you are/are not [email protected] for Team 32?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

I just want to get a head count of how many of us AMD folks are folding for OCF (Team #32). If you are not folding, I'd like to hear why. If you would like to fold and just don't know how to get it started, the OCF Folders and I are here to help out so let us know.

For those of you that do fold, thank you for your great contribution to our efforts against OCAU :salute:.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Stanford is a non-profit, so you can make tax-deductible donations to them. By any chance would the power and cooling costs of home or office computers or dedicated servers running 24/7 folding also be tax-deductible? Is anybody on the forum an accountant with an answer to that? If it is possible, it might be a nice incentive to use when convincing your boss to let you Borg the office computers :)

Bluefalcon13

I fold every night (when I goto bed) and stop folding when im playing games (either when I wakeup on weekends, or when I get home from work on weekdays... been getting close to 3k PPD off my GPU alone.

QuietIce

Disabled
I think my title and signature say it all. :D

I like the simplicity of BOINC over the [email protected] apps. If I wanted to crunch for medical research I'd go with Rosetta, which is also a BOINC project. But don't get me wrong, [email protected] is a worthwhile project and I'll be contributing a small part of my farm to it for the month of December. :)

Stanford is a non-profit, so you can make tax-deductible donations to them. By any chance would the power and cooling costs of home or office computers or dedicated servers running 24/7 folding also be tax-deductible? Is anybody on the forum an accountant with an answer to that? If it is possible, it might be a nice incentive to use when convincing your boss to let you Borg the office computers :)
This has been asked in the SETI section and the short answer is "No". I'm no accountant but there are others in SETI (also non-profit) that have looked at this. If you donate equipment to the project for use as servers or whatever that's tax deductible but computer time at home/work/school isn't tax deductible as far as I know - even with dedicated machines. I wish it were ... :(

Porvalsh

I fold. 955 rig gets about 5k ppd while running 3 GPU clients. I watched temps closely the first few days but now have been folding 24/7 with the exception of gaming time. I've noticed though that I can play Civ4 without shutting down any clients so I've been playing that more than other games just to keep everything runnin.

Gaming rigs are great for folding. Put that thing to use when you're not gaming!

OP
wingless

wingless

I fold. 955 rig gets about 5k ppd while running 3 GPU clients. I watched temps closely the first few days but now have been folding 24/7 with the exception of gaming time. I've noticed though that I can play Civ4 without shutting down any clients so I've been playing that more than other games just to keep everything runnin.

Gaming rigs are great for folding. Put that thing to use when you're not gaming!

Your efforts has just caused you to pass me in PPD too :rain:.

Seriously guys, [email protected] doesn't cost much. My system (rig, monitor, speakers, and wireless routher) plus the box fan that blows inside my open case to keep it cool enough to run :comp:....draws a whopping 510w when folding SMP and GPU2. This come out to 372.3 kW h/mo (kilowatt hours per month) which at $0.16/kWh is $59.57 per month. I actually pay $0.14/kWh right now, but $0.16 is usually what folks pay these days. SO, my computing setup, which uses a helluva lot more than most of your rigs, is $60 a month if run 24/7. Most of you don't have a box fan that single handedly draws 150W on low, so you won't be close to where I am. [email protected] isn't terribly costly, so if you have a fast rig and GPUs, join the fun!

Bobnova

I'm running FAH. Using an athlon II [email protected], not a lot of ppd but it's still something.

EDIT:
$59/month would break me, heh. I'm on the broke end of things :p

OP
wingless

wingless

I'm running FAH. Using an athlon II [email protected], not a lot of ppd but it's still something.

EDIT:
$59/month would break me, heh. I'm on the broke end of things :p

You would have to have a very inefficient setup to use as much power as I do. You would never spend $60 on just one machine unless you had multiple GPUs and high overclocks. My power bill during the summer here in Houston, TX is usually somewhere around $400 to $500 depending on how much we have to run the A/C. $60 is a drop in the bucket for my house.

the_cultie

I am folding on the rig in my sig and I'm working on getting a pc for work and the will let me fold on it 24/7 :D Ideally I'd like 4 graphics cards :thup:

VinnyTAMU

I have an AMD rig and I choose not to fold, not because I don't believe in the Standford DC project but because I try to keep my power consumption as low as possible.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Not me because I hate saving lives.

Death to all!

Jk

Porvalsh

I chose not to overclock my rig past the point where I need to up voltage because the power consumption can get pretty nuts. If you look at reviews of power consumption when overclocked it almost doubles in some cases depending on where your ceiling is. At stock volts though I can run up to 3.6ghz all day long though.

My power bill has gone up but you can offset this by choosing high bang/power parts and not get too carried away with the OCs (which I know is part of the fun). :)

If you're in the dorms at school though you better be folding that rig 24/7!

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
My server (Phenom 2.6ghz X4) is constantly folding. Actually, heating my bedroom.

e6600

um...how do i join team 32? im building a new rig and plan to fold on it...

just read a few of the stickies in the folding team forum, and choose team 32 as your team and youre good to go

my main reason for not folding was the insane stress that it put on my system. but that was back when i was on air... i would come back but i think my system is really underpowered compared to the farms of gpus/quads that much of the folders run. i think ill make a bigger difference staying on the seti team

Porvalsh

um...how do i join team 32? im building a new rig and plan to fold on it...

Yeah when you setup your folding client you just type in 32 when it asks you for your team number. Then all your points will go towards team 32.

Then head over to the folding forum and join in the fray through the forums. Our winter blaze starts dec 7th and has many prizes to give away! Its a lot of fun.

If you're still thinking about which parts to use in your build, I'd head on over to the folding forum and see what people are using these days. There's a big difference in points between NVIDIA and ATI cards right now and I'd hate to have you get an ATI card (although they have a performance edge in games) and not be happy with the folding performance. There's also a difference in points between the i7 and Phenom II. These are considerations the folding group can help you make decisions on.

There's also a bunch of guides on how to get started. The latest is Sydney's guide.

Hope to see you in the fray soon!

VinnyTAMU

I chose not to overclock my rig past the point where I need to up voltage because the power consumption can get pretty nuts. If you look at reviews of power consumption when overclocked it almost doubles in some cases depending on where your ceiling is. At stock volts though I can run up to 3.6ghz all day long though.

My power bill has gone up but you can offset this by choosing high bang/power parts and not get too carried away with the OCs (which I know is part of the fun). :)

If you're in the dorms at school though you better be folding that rig 24/7!

Yea, I actually get more enjoyment now out of downclocking/undervolting than I did with overclocking. I have an AM2 rig BE-2400 that when downclocked only uses 31 Watts of power consumption, idle (as measured by my kill-o-watt). That is after the inefficiency of my PSU!