• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many of you have seen a PSU blow up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiGhTBoY

I wonder how many had the oportunity to watch a PSU blow up? ( i mean REALLY closely). A few days ago I found a PC in the street (imagine that there are people who throw away their PCs :mad: ) and took it home. I cleaned it up and tried it out. PSU ok but everything else was ******* .Well why not shorting this baby to see what will happen. I open the PSU casing connected it to the mobo, fans , hdd (old don't worry) and threw in a CPU (socket 4 ). The hdd :burn: a few moments and then stopped. I took a small screwdriver and randomly shorted its chips. It started up and the I took its power cord off. One of the PSU condensers (i'm not sure if it is a condenser cause I don't know anything about electronics (but i do about PCs :D ) BLEW UP with a loud POP giving out a 2" flame. The I-don't-know-what-you-call-it (that little thing that brakes when there is a shortage ? ) went up in smoke. It unpluged the PSU from the wall and accidentally (really :) ) touched the pins. A small current ZAPed me but it wasn't anything serious ( my multimeter showed 0.08v after a few moments (of course i touched it on me :) ) ) Well the PSU wires now "decorate" my desk.

PS
I was about 2 feet away from the PSU when it blowed, and was looking directly at it.Too bad that 145W went away like that.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
LOL
you're lucky your not hurt. sticking screw drivers in their. i wish
i found some PC's on the street :p

Visidex

I've had one go up in smoke. Turned the computer on and a whole bunch of white smoke came out the side. 20 minutes later and I got a floppy drive to do the same thing.

Cuper

Ha Ha, my friend tried this and fried himself!!! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen!! All he did for the next couple of days was sit in a chair and think about how stupid he was.:D

Monaco

try flipping the 220/110V switch on your PSU so that it is wrong for your country, and plug it in like that. Just stand back when you do it:)

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
Monster of Rock said:
try flipping the 220/110V switch on your PSU so that it is wrong for your country, and plug it in like that. Just stand back when you do it:)

That only works if you'r in a 220v country and you have the PSU set to 115v.

I did it the other way around on accident when I first got this rig (Had it set to 220, local power is 115). It just simply didn't turn on, there was no damage. I DID spend 4 hours and several trips to the store before I figured out how much of a moron I am, and flipped the switch over with a knife.

Lou Natic

Über~PhLuBB said:

I DID spend 4 hours and several trips to the store before I figured out how much of a moron I am, and flipped the switch over with a knife.

Was it the knife you threatened the employees of the store with?

j/k

YMAN

I had some fun reversing the mobo power lines on an
old at power supply. (250Watt)

Nice light show, later filled the place up with heavy
smoke...

Next step, try blowing a PC POWER & COOLING 650
power supply. :D

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Actually there wasn't any smoke, just a LOUD POP:eek: and the flame. Wait something smels here. Ah and just THE smell of electricity.:eek: :eek:

YMAN

Make sure the place has good air flow,
open windows if you can or something.

Those fumes will get into carpet, fabrics,
and such, and will be a pain to get rid of.

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Actually I blew it up in my kitchen :D . After a couple of door openings , the air was clean as that of a forest :cool: .