• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much [b]actual[/b] speed DSL gives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

I had this tempting option of getting broadband (finally) DSL connection, it was slightly expensive (but i was ready to pay) and link was 64k shared

now i don't exactly know how dsl works, but i know the more away you are from the exchange the slow speed you get and stuff, my friend told me with 64k shared the max i would be getting (in terms of dowloading) is 7-9k/sec is that true?? coz if it is than i am better of sticking with my 56k, i get about 6.5k (at the best) with it and it would be more than half less the price of getting that DSL link

flyingember

Registered
your friend is full of sh*t. (to a point)

dsl is a non-shared line, meaning you get none of the sharing speed drops of cable access. I have cable and get exactly what I pay for, 90K. so dsl has to be at least the same

how far are you from the central office? distance does matter, but sometimes it's irrelevant. there are newer technologies with further limits like vdsl.
quite honestly, if you lived in Afghanistan (I doubt you do), you'd have a better chance of a fast connection as some countries in that region are going straight to fiber for their main system, I know a guy who does work like that.

Mi6

lots of ppl dont like cable but you have to figure that dsl uses PPOE and or PPOA connections witch gratly diminishes your speed 64k shared ( i never heard of it ) but im going for thats a 65k up/down shared line ( never heard of a dsl shared line ) but thats what it sounds like.

im on cable doign 4mb/640up was on adsl and the best speed i could ever get ( from 3 dif isp's ) is 1.5mb down and 128up but due to the PPOE tecnology you would only get to 512k more or less.

But you should talk to the isp about the line and tell them what are the actualy speeds you should expect since the advertized speed is never what you get ( unless your lucky like me =p )

-M|6

OP
baqai

baqai

its ADSL 64k up/down

btw i live near by to Afghanistan .. Pakistan :D

there is a company laying fibre optic all around the city (also in my street) and they are going to start operating from starting of next year so i am very excited

I think so distance to my exchange from my house is about 2.5 - 3 km

About shared i have no idea what it is you can check here its the companies page maybe you can make something out of it

OP
baqai

baqai

btw 1 $ = 65 RS in case you are confused with the currency mentioned there on the page

so DDR are you suggesting i would be better off to stick with my dialup?

Kingslayer

If all your getting on that DSL line is 64k, yes, stick with dial up. And if you have XP, try multiplexing with two dial up modems and accounts, that will give you about 100k for just about the same price as the DSL.

DSL is very different over there in Pakistan. I have a 1.5meg/256k DSL line w/ static IP address in my house here.

OP
baqai

baqai

King for multiplexing i would need two modems and two phone lines, i only have one phone line at my house and also i need a account which allows multiple logins

DreamingWolf

Wheel Walker
It seems as though that provider does IP addresses in groups of 4. But in the 'shared' option you only get 1 static IP. I wonder if they are referring to sharing the bandwidth for that IP cluster?

DWolf:cool:

OP
baqai

baqai

maybe .. i tried calling them today and finding out what's going on .. it seems like i have more knowledge on DSL than that stupid customer support person

i guess i will be going to their office and talk to some of their sales rep person