• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much cpu does onboard sounce from ac97 take up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nard

Registered
how much cpu does onboard sound from ac97 take up?

i bought an it7-max2, and im wondering how much of the cpu does the ac97 onboard sound thingy take up compared to live!, and audigy sound cards.

im planning to play AC2, but im afraid the onboard sound might fubar my system and make the lag unplayable.

OC-Master

Re: how much cpu does onboard sound from ac97 take up?

nard said:
i bought an it7-max2, and im wondering how much of the cpu does the ac97 onboard sound thingy take up compared to live!, and audigy sound cards.

im planning to play AC2, but im afraid the onboard sound might fubar my system and make the lag unplayable.

On average, onboard sound takes horrible amounts of CPU power simply because these types of DSPs are fair less complex and perform at only a fifth of the Live and Audigy series.

Sure, one may argue that on board sound works fine for them, but then there is people who need high FPS and will do almost anything to get it, and in other words, avoid on board sound all together.

The only on board sound to date that can compare with PCI sound cards is nVidia's southbridge on the nForce2. That DSP has performance much like the sound blaster live!

OC-Master

OP
N

nard

Registered
ahh okay thanks man =)

that means i gotta get an audigy then hehe.
because in ac2, there are tons of sound sources and stuff, and i was really worried.

ratts

really?

ive been wondering that.....cause when i play morrowind some times game locks up and was certain it was caused by accelerated sound from my on board ac97 sound with abit at7.....why wouldnt adding a pci device cause problems too.....i thought it would be about same load on cpu.....heck...i dont know....give more info on this please

quegyboe

ratts

If you read the Morrowind readme, it tells you that the locking and dropping back to desktop is caused by the sound card. Turns out that you need a fully DX 8 compliant sound card to make it stop doing that...or set your hardware sound acceleration down to basic.

ratts

thanx.....

relief........no, i didnt read the read me.....that is excactly what it does......goes back to desktop, memory something error, and last but not least, locks up when i go into cavern or cave.....sometimes it doesnt and sometimes it does....i know one cave i cant go in cause it locks up every d*** time and p***** me off....cause i would forget to save before getting there and just ruined 4-7 hours of playing cause of the lock up or going back to desktop.....memory errors give me a automatic restore point though.....i dont mind them......anyhow....thanx alot....i thought at first it was my geforce pooping out on me or driver issues.....