• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ardent

Recently, I added a Radeon 9800np and a second hard drive to my rig, and it would seem my 300w Sparkle is screaming for mercy :) I have had so many problems with my overclock since the additions, I have disconnected the second hdd and backed off my OC to 175x11 for now. Stable in Prime for 8 hours, and 3dMark is stable too at that rate.

So, time for new power! After getting alot of recommendations from friends, I think I'm going to go with an Antec Truepower. Money is a slight consideration, but I am more interested in having some juice to spare after I am done adding anything I could want. Here is what I see this PSU eventually having to cope with:

Radeon 9800
4x DVD Writer
48x CD Drive
2 HDD's (possibly SATA soon)
1 NIC
6 Fans including CPU fan
USB Printer and Palm dock

So which one would I need? Would the True 380 be enough, or something higher like 430, 480?

Thx in advance for your opinions,
ardent

larva

Inactive Moderator
I would recommend the TP430 as a minumum. I have one in my rig and it's a great unit. My cpu's 12V consumption is fierce, but doesn't phase the TP430. The TP380s I've used weren't nearly as stout, although still good supplies. The 480 is really stout. I think directron has a good deal on the TP430 and think you would really like what your money gets you.

OP
ardent

ardent

Thx for the info Larva....I think the 430 should suffice, but perhaps I might splash out for the fancy 480 with blue led fan :) I think its $12 more at newegg.com than the True 430.