• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much do the temps raise in the summer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I live in New Jersey on the east coast and I just started OCing in the winter. So, I have no summer experience. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it, but I guess I'm just curious. How much to temps go up when the summer roles around?

Garfield, I'm from Ga., and I'm already fighting the temps...my chip goes unstable somewhere around 40-42, and the past few days I've been skirting 38 under full load...and summer ain't even here yet! Damn, I need water cooling before this summer!

Your sig says 31C for a CPU temp now....at what room temp is that tempriture taken at ? IE is your room freezing or do you have the heat up to like 75F in your room? You can expect temps to flirt with the 100F range in the peak times of summer...but mostly be around 75-85 F Airconditiong is great for those who have it...I don't. I'm allready starting to buy parts to set up my system with a 156w peltier to run during the summer months here in NY

Garfield said:
I live in New Jersey on the east coast and I just started OCing in the winter. So, I have no summer experience. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it, but I guess I'm just curious. How much to temps go up when the summer roles around?

I had the same problem. I started in december, and my temps fine. But by summer i needed a better heatsink. I just try to keep my room temp as low as possible. Open windows at night, close windows and curtains durring the day.

If you don't have AC and you're stuck with aircooling, it's quite beneficial if you live in the basement :D I'm sure glad I do. My ambient temps are usually between 16c and they only go up about 2c in the summer. Once summer hits, I'll be able to tolerate cooler temps.

im thinking about moving my PC down stairs into the game room
where it is cooler. should i do this instead of having it in my room.

i swear my PC is a freakin space heater, even with the 520MM
Delta fan (yes 520MM)

Bonka said:
If you don't have AC and you're stuck with aircooling, it's quite beneficial if you live in the basement :D I'm sure glad I do. My ambient temps are usually between 16c and they only go up about 2c in the summer. Once summer hits, I'll be able to tolerate cooler temps.
I don't really notice the difference. we don't get many cold days here. I try to keep room temps around 26c

Thanks for the replies, fellas. My room right now is about 70F. Maybe give or take. I don't have an exact reading or anything. Hmmm...sometimes in the summer we use AC, but a lot of the times we just open windows. The thing is, my computer is in my closet. The reason being is that it is much colder in my closet because no heat gets in. So, that helps out. But, the closet won't stay colder in the summer, of course. I'll open my windows at night because there's a bit of a chill in the air. I'll have to put on my fleece though :p

garfield i live in nj also and in the summer my house is usually 65-70 degrees bc of the ac right now it is a little warmer my temps usually go down by maybe 2-3 degrees F (not C i mind you)

Window AC unit, about 200 bucks for a 8000-10000BTU unit. I have a pretty quiet one and it kicks *** in the summer. I couldn't live without it actually with 3 1.3Gig and higher PC's in a small 15'x9' room. :D

Temps should rise proportionally with the ambient temp, maybe a little more. That's what my experiences have been. I get 7-10 degree deltas depending on the ambient temp.

If you want to kill a PSU just add and add fans. There is a limit on how many devices you can do. For cooling start with free programs like MBM5 which report temps, RPMs and voltages under Windows. Another free program is RAIN which is the fastest way from full CPU load to IDLE (mine does it in 2mins 20 secs). If practical cut out 2 holes in bottom case and add 2 LOW WATTAGE low noise 80MM fans. The 2 fans lowest mounted can be the "SILENCER" from PC Cooling & Power. Each one consumes less than 1 watt and the dba is a quiet 20. You must also place your PC on the floor and raise it to 3 inches above the floor. If you dont have a fan mounted on top of case you better try it. Right now MBM5 reports my CPU as 35/95 degs C/F and system temp is 28/82 degs C/F. Room temp is 68-70 degs F. At full CPU load the temps are CPU 41 degs C and system is 30 degs C. Prior to all these additions/mods my CPU was 40 degs C and system was 34 degs C at IDLE. I didnt try the full CPU load because I was afraid to! I think I am almost ready for those hot dog days of August.
ec.

Yeah, I guess there shouldn't be too much of a change. If it's by one or two degrees, then I'm not going to worry about it.

Back