• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much is too much on the fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhypertext

How much is too much when it comes to turing up the fsb \

because the fsb controlls the pci slots and i need to know how much the modem and audio card will take

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
That is a trick question. Every system is different. Just up the FSB 1-3 ticks at a time until you can't boot. Then back down til you can. Run Prime 95 and test.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
You won't "fry" anything. What type of cooling are you using? Just make sure you watch your CPU temps. You might also want to up your vcore to 1.85, this will allow higher overclocks but watch your temps!

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Back up the multiplier and crank the fsb...slowly as he stated. Biggest risk is pretty much reloading the operating system or dirvers...thisof course assumes that you do not get radical....

Dave65

So you are saying that (Maybe) if I remove my sound card and use the onboard sound,my fsb may go higher?
And what about the Modem,I dont use it so should I remove it??

Silver

Lets see if we can get someone else in here with the same mother board as you...they can help you specifically.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
It will depend on what PCI dividers your motherboard supports. (PCI bus= FSB/PCI divider: i.e. 100/3=33, 111/3=37, 133/4=33, 150/4=37.5, 166/5=33 etc.) Some support 3, 4, and 5. My AK31 only supports 3 and 4, but I can STILL crank her up to 166 without trouble. Of course that means my stuff is running at 41MHz, which is REALLY high, but it hasn't caused me a problem. As far as it goes, you'll either have to do exhaustive research on your board to find out which dividers it supports, or just try it. And if it fails at one speed, try kicking the bus up a few more megahertz, because it might just kick in another pci divider!

Silver

CaffineHog, (like the name) what ram are you using to get the ak31 to hit 166 and is that at cas2? Best I can get this ak31 rev3 to is 149 rock stable on crucial 2100. It will boot and run at 155 but will not loop 3dmk2001. I am trying to decide whether to change out the ram or puchase a mobo that allows for better divisors and more vmem. 2.7 just does not seem to get the job done. Cost of course for the ram vs the mobo are about the same.

FIRESTARR357

You're PC will let you know when it's to high.Just take you're time up it slowly and take it as far as it will let you.Also there are a few things you can do to sqeeze out more As was said you can drop the multi you can also get a vid card Oc Program and underclock you're video card witch the higher FSB will make up for

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Well, I had micron that would hit 166, Cas 2.5. I just picked up some crucial that will do 160 cas 2.
AK31 is an odd board. Until I unlocked my processor, mine wouldn't post between 144 and 149, but did fine at 150.
This board works well, and is inexpensive, but it has a LOT of quirks!

Silver

Ive played a lot with it and am running one of the performance bios's right now as it at least gets me as much bandwidth as possible at a given setting.

OP
Mhypertext

Mhypertext

thats makes alot of sense to back up the mulitplier and crank up the buss to make up for it

i have 3 intakes 2 exgaust fans and a lapped swiftech mcx462a