• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much is too Much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aseaver

Registered
I was wondering, how much OC is too much? I have tweaked, played, cleared CMOS enough times to know that I can spend lots of time trying to get that little bit more but am I buying anything? I have my XP2000+thbrd OC to 2.22Ghz using a KT3V mobo 185 x12. 1.65 Core Volt. I have my memory PC2700 (333) set at 2, 2, 5, 2 and a voltage of 1.7. TEMP=38.5 degrees.:D Is this a good stopping place?

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I would say alittle bit more unless the 38C is idle? If 38c is you idle temp then your probably going to hit 50 running prime or there close and IMO 50c or above isn't good on an overclocked cpu.

OP
Aseaver

Aseaver

Registered
The 38 degrees is under heavy load. Yeah I thought a little more two but then someone told me that my memory is going to limit me by not keeping up with the cpu. The KT3V MSI mobo are not the top of the line, but then my step sons bought it for me....so that makes it great:) How far do I need to go if my memory is going to hold me back from being a screaming OC cpu?

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
Change you change the muitplier?

10x, 10.5x, 11x, 11.5x, 12x?

Also what about vddim voltage ?

OP
Aseaver

Aseaver

Registered
yeah, I can change the multiplier but no vddim for this mobo. I was thinking of OC the memory to help keep up with the cpu. Sandra sez my memory is 1/2 of fsb speed which can not be changed on this mobo either. I was going to play around some more but I get fustrated when I go to far and have to reset CMOS. I currently have fsb at 185 and I have gone to 193 but then it get a little shaky on the stability side.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
My guess would be to get the best fsb possible and then up the muitl to you get the max out of your cpu try not to go past 1.9 volts on air and or 50c full load no matter what core speed-vcore you are @.

I think about 185-190 shold be what you are going to be looking for with a 12 or 12.5 muitl that will give you

12x190=2.28
12.5x185=2.315

Which should be a good goal to shoot for. Just remember no more the 1.9 and or 50c on air IMO

OP
Aseaver

Aseaver

Registered
Thanks for the tips. I can only get 11.5 x190 so I will stay there. I read that fsb speed is better than the multiplier,so I am running a burn in tonight. voltage is 1.7 and temp under load is 40C.