• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Liquid Nitrogen is to much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalMan

Overclocked a Computer Submerged, In Horse Laxativ
So I finally scored some liquid nitrogen. So far I haven't seen the cold boot bug. The bios says -11C and XTU says my cpu temp is 0.

My question is how much LN2 should I throw in this pot? Right now I'm just using the ladle that came with the dewar and pouring out a few cups at a time into the LN2 pot.

Temps seem to be under control even with 1.7V at 6.4Ghz..

How are you guys hitting 7Ghz and higher? What are you specific bios settings? What are your specific XTU settings if your using intel XTU?

So..... what chip and motherboard? 13900k still or....? Let's start there. :)

Did you insulate around the socket?

You should be a lot colder on idle for sure. LN2 is almost -200C so... the chip may nkt see that, bjt -11C in the bios seems like something isn't getting good contact.

Temps seem to be under control even with 1.7V at 6.4Ghz..
What does this mean? What tests did you run? What temps during the test, etc...

Last edited:
So..... what chip and motherboard? 13900k still or....? Let's start there. :)

Did you insulate around the socket?

You should be a lot colder on idle for sure. LN2 is almost -200C so... the chip may nkt see that, bjt -11C in the bios seems like something isn't getting good contact.

What does this mean? What tests did you run? What temps during the test, etc...
Rog Maximus Z790 Hero.

I insulated the around the socket. I got the beer cozy around the pot, and under the cpu area, and everything is smeared in a a thin layer of horse laxative.

The only tests I ran was the intel XTU bench mark and temps stayed below 95C.
You probably want to be using a better temp sensor than trusting the bios. Most pots have a hole drilled in the base for a probe to be inserted and puddled/clayed in for accurate readings.
You are correct. This explains the leakage from earlier. Could you suggest and link to me a decent probe. What probe are you using with your rig? Right now I have a laser thermometer, but it doeesn't read temperatures as cold as LN2.

Rog Maximus Z790 Hero.

I insulated the around the socket. I got the beer cozy around the pot, and under the cpu area, and everything is smeared in a a thin layer of horse laxative.

The only tests I ran was the intel XTU bench mark and temps stayed below 95C.

You are correct. This explains the leakage from earlier. Could you suggest and link to me a decent probe. What probe are you using with your rig? Right now I have a laser thermometer, but it doeesn't read temperatures as cold as LN2.

Is what I had bookmarked. They cost around $30 (far less than a fluke although flukes are higher quality). Looks like the listing is long gone from years ago, but mine looks similar to the dano ones with dual probes.

I use an old Amprobe TMD-52. They're long discontinued now but it's still a good sensor if you find one on the cheap.

...again with the horse laxative...

Edit: You know it's not Tabasco. You can't just put that **** on everything.

FYI Mineral Oil freezes at about -20C so you run the risk of cracking something if it's clamped down as it should be.

Last edited:
Back