• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much money to run a 420w power supply 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

since i'm going to be folding 24/7, my computer (of course) is going to be running all the time. i just wanted to know how much money it would cost to run a 420w psu 24/7. i feel guilty sucking up all of this power and then making my parents pay for it, so im going to hand them a couple of bucks (how much it takes) to run this.

so, how much would it be?

OP
Garfield

Garfield

so could we safely assume, say, $15 a month? I just need a rough estimate, and I think that sounds good.

larva

Inactive Moderator
power supply efficiency

Most switching power supplies operate at 50-60% effiiciency. Half the power consumed is turned into heat and expelled to the environment. While the 50% rule is fairly accurate for many devices the current draw should be stated on any device carrying UL approval for home use. Only in a perfect world does input=output, and perfection is a pretty rare commodity.