• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of a difference do ramsinks make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

I just successfully modded my 9800np with samsung memory to a 9800pro and so now I'm back to thinking what more can I do to squeeze more power out my card hehe :p. The thing is I had a bad experience with ramsinks and arctic silver epoxy where I accidently spilled some of the conductive epoxy on the board and ruined it. Is there much gain to be had then with using the ramsinks in terms of o/c or is it really not worth the risk. Thanks. Also how how important is the core speed in relation memory speed meaning if I overclock the memory how much do I need to overclock the core to take optimum advantage of the o/c memory timings. Thanks

Waddle

Registered
Ram sinks usually dont help much. You won't get more than 20mhz from adding ramsinks. With some memory, having ram sinks doesn't matter at all. Example: with infineon memory on 9700np it wont go over 310mhz even if you use water cooling.

f00t

i find they only make about 5mhz- 10mz difference on most cards. I still put them on all my cards cause they make them look beefy and very manly

Barnstormer

I installed some ramsinks today (cut from an old Pentium I CPU cooler) and managed another 25 (50) mhz with no artifacts in 3DM 2001.
Just my .02.
I installed them with ceramique and superglue on the 2 corners.