• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of a difference does the motherboard make?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My understanding is that the top tier Ryzen 2 CPUs will need the extra cooling of the built-in chipset fans that the X570 boards will possess. And if you are overclocking on top of that, thee is no question about it.

nuclearrabbit17, what is your budget anyway? Will you be carrying over components from your present system such as case, video card, drives and PSU? Please make a list of components you already have that might carry over.
Ryzen 3. The architecture is Zen 2. :)

The chipset fans are supposed to only spin up under heavier loads from what I have heard. If the chipset isn't loaded up with devices, it should stay quiet from what I understand. :)

The FX8350 is a 125W CPU, now the FX9370 and FX9590 was a nightmare :) and the screen shot with HWM was not about how cool it was, but that the same CPU & MB had the same temp readings with 2 different coolers +/- 1c.

The FX's were listed at 125w but were grossly underrated. The 9xxx series is no different than the 8xxx series except for higher VID and clockspeed. If you overclocked the 8xxx's to the 9xxx's speed and voltage, they were over 200w also. There was no difference between the two other than binning.

Not wanting to derail the thread. I'll quit here. :)

nuclearrabbit17, thanks for the updated info.

Two things:

1. What is the make and model of the case you will be carrying over? That will have a large influence on what your cooling options are. Most good air coolers are tall enough to cause clearance problems to the side panel for many cases.
2. I would plan on devoting a little more than $100 to the GPU. Even though you say your apps and intended use are not GPU dependent, this day and age you really can't get much at all in the way of a GPU for $100. For around $200 you could get something that will serve well for general purpose computing. Something like this was what I had in mind: https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-r...on=Rx 560&cm_re=Rx_560-_-14-131-732-_-Product

And what about an audio add in card? The motherboard onboard audio chips are generally decent but with your emphasis should you look at something more?

nuclearrabbit17, thanks for the updated info.

Two things:

1. What is the make and model of the case you will be carrying over? That will have a large influence on what your cooling options are. Most good air coolers are tall enough to cause clearance problems to the side panel for many cases.
2. I would plan on devoting a little more than $100 to the GPU. Even though you say your apps and intended use are not GPU dependent, this day and age you really can't get much at all in the way of a GPU for $100. For around $200 you could get something that will serve well for general purpose computing. Something like this was what I had in mind: https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-r...on=Rx 560&cm_re=Rx_560-_-14-131-732-_-Product

And what about an audio add in card? The motherboard onboard audio chips are generally decent but with your emphasis should you look at something more?

Thank you for the advice! You know now that you mention it, I may actually shell out for a graphics card because I am interested in A.I. artwork which takes advantage of graphics cards for processing. But it’s not a priority and I was planning on using AWS for any A.I. processing. Perhaps I will get something midrange. I had a 30$ graphics card in my last computer and it did its job.

As far as audio cards go, I use an external audio interface for audio, and my current one is thunderbolt, so it would be nice to get a mobo with thunderbolt, but it’s AMD so I’m not sure that’s possible. I will either get a cheap usb interface, or stick to recording audio on my laptop and transfer it to the beast I’m building, which I really only need for when my projects start getting large enough to warrant it. As far as an audio card helping with anything at all, unless it was a very expensive UAD with lots of DSP in it, the audio makes no difference and the onboard motherboard audio is fine.

Oh and also the case is an incredibly generic and cheap. I’m pretty handy and can customize it myself for increased airflow with my angle grinder and adding some fans. I paid 20$ for it, so it’s nothing special

Back