• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of a difference will I notice in RAID 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

I have (1) 60GB OCZ Agility 2 right now with my OS on it, I'm going to be getting my RAID card and 2 more OCZ Agility 2's and I plan on putting them all into a hardware RAID 0. How much of a difference will I notice myself and how much of a difference do you think I'll get on the read/write speeds when I run a bench mark.

Also I'm pretty new at setting of RAIDs and I've never setup a hardware RAID before ever. So any tips will help. Things like, do I need to turn on AHCI in the BIOS or no since its an actually RAID card I'm hooking the disc up too.

for the money why don't you just get 2 bigger HDD instead of 2 small SSD and raid those as your storage and keep your single SSD as your OS drive? you can DL games onto SSD to keep performance up and use the HDD for music videos and such that you don't need as much performance for

for the money why don't you just get 2 bigger HDD instead of 2 small SSD and raid those as your storage and keep your single SSD as your OS drive? you can DL games onto SSD to keep performance up and use the HDD for music videos and such that you don't need as much performance for

Well I got like 4 TB of other WD drives where I keep all my movies and music, I really don't play that many games..I like to stick to one game at a time, like right now I like to play Heroes of Newerth and I just got SC2 so like those are the only 2 I can think of right now that I would put on this RAID 0 setup.

benchmarks will go faster, but you cant play benchmarks so who cares.

now you say hardware raid, do you plan to buy a raid card cause using your motherboards raid is not considered hardware raid, but for raid 0/1 you dont need a card usually since there is next to zero overhead.

how well does that 3ware card perform in reviews?, last 3ware card i got for work was pure crap for the price tag so now i stick with Areca or LSI or even adaptec newer series.

If my reading serves me correctly, most people found that there was almost no difference at all between using the ICH10R & a hardware controller, and in some cases, the ICH10R actually produced better benches.

I've had an Areca 1210 sitting on the sheld for months now, but struggle to find any reason to install it atm unless something specific changes.

Yeah your transfer rates would be insane, but I highly doubt you'll notice a difference going from a single ssd to two in raid 0. The one thing you might notice is write times (i.e. installing programs). Sure read times and program loadings will improve, but I'd bet they're so fast already you won't notice the decrease.

If my reading serves me correctly, most people found that there was almost no difference at all between using the ICH10R & a hardware controller, and in some cases, the ICH10R actually produced better benches.

I've had an Areca 1210 sitting on the sheld for months now, but struggle to find any reason to install it atm unless something specific changes.

If your doing anything other then raid 0 or 1, that Areca will beat the pants of any intel ICH*R.

Back