• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plbowler

My new AMD system will (likely) have Athalon XP 1600
PC133 (383 MB Ram) 6 Gig (or two) HD 52x CD drive
32x Sony CDRW-TekBright (Crappy) monitor.

How much power (200W-300W-350W-400W) do I need in the case?

Oops I forgot currently a TNT M63 32Meg 3D card (PCI) 125mhz (OC'd to 140Mhz!!!)
but Eventually a 64 MEG(or larger) AGP card

Last edited:

Fever

My 300 watt PSU doesn't even break a sweat with my system, and I need more power than you will. Just get a good 300W PSU, like Antec.

OP
P

plbowler

thanks, thats quite a system there Fever, that looks like what mine might get to eventually. you wouldn't be gaming on that system by any chance would you?

Here's something funny, I'm using a Celeron 366 right now, what a leap to Athalon XP 1600... I can't wait

juliendogg

are you building this entirely new? i would definately look into ddr, it appears you have a good bit of pc133 you may be wanting to hang on to. you would most likely still see better performance from a ddr mobo with only 128 megs of ddr.

OP
P

plbowler

I'm building it new...
I only really need the MoBo CPU and CAse, I'm gonna get a MoBo that supports SD and DDR (but not at the same time....obviously) I need a new Hard Drive, but that is not whats holding me back. An 80 GIG Hard Drive is $100 (mine is 6 Gig). But for that $100, I can Get a MoBo and an AMD Athalon XP 1600 from newegg.com. I think I'll upgrade the MoBo/CPU/Case first, then the HD then jump to DDR.

Then an AGP video card, I'm on PCI TNT M64 right now, again I don;t think My video card id the weak link, its the Celeron 366

BomberBear

Im running Antec Truepower 330w power in my system
xp2100+ Oced
512 DDR
Geforce4 Ti4200 Oced
2 case fans
cd-rw
zip 750mb
Im not using any PCI but for my sound card

You will be good with a 300w QUALITY power supply. I would recommend this antec truepower with its fan speed control. Good luck

nealric

definetly get ddr memory- lot more upgrade potentail there. As for psu- try the 430w that they have at directron.com. They are actually VERY high quality and almost silent. Its running the same equipment that FRIED my 300w without breaking a sweat or undervolting anything.

OC-Master

A 350Watt Power Supply will be more than enough for any overclockers needs and wont break the wallet.

400Watts and higher is nice but is not necessary for single processor systems.

OC-Master

Fever

plbowler said:
thanks, thats quite a system there Fever, that looks like what mine might get to eventually. you wouldn't be gaming on that system by any chance would you?

Here's something funny, I'm using a Celeron 366 right now, what a leap to Athalon XP 1600... I can't wait

Thanks. :D Yeah, I game on it a lot. Nothing slows this thing down, expect for a certain alpha.. But I won't go there. ;) UT2003 runs great, I get over 60 FPS in BF 1942.. It's sweet. Add ATi's exceptional image quality (much better than any nVidia card..) and you've got yourself some fun times. :D I get about 10500 3DMarks. I went from a P233 MMX to this system.. Quite a difference! :) My PC kills my father's P4 system. :cool:

BomberBear

My 3DMark is 11450 :) Wow, you overclocking fool! Well, I get my new HSF sometime this week and im running right now at 1.82 w/ stock HSF so im hoping i can up the fsb some more. I would love to unlock my xp2100+ but i dont have the pacients (sp?)/guide to get me there. I've heard its different than all other XPs :( If anyone has a guide, let me know.