• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much should I get out this mobo&cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nl_rick

I'am gonna buy this month:

- ASUS (AMD) A7N8X-E Deluxe Sound G-LAN FW SATA-Raid
- AMD Sockel A XP 3200+ Barton (2200Mhz) FSB200 TRAY

What should I get out this mobo and cpu, I have already 2x256 ddr333, and a Thermalright SP97 with a 92x92x25 Enermax UC-9FAB......

I bought those two parts for oc'ing..... I think that I should get @ the 2.4+ easy , :confused: if someone has the same config then tell me what you get out of this..:cool:

Grtz nl_rick .....

WA2

Dont wast your $ on a 3200 Barton. A 2500 will do you the same, if not more. 2.4+. Mine ran 2.57 something

Also, you will prob want to upgrade your mem

Last edited:

Docta_Z

Don't buy an A7N8X... they are not overclocking boards. They are stable and have some decent features, but are by far one of the lowest performing overclocking boards available for ultra400.

I had the A7N8X-Deluxe with a mobile chip. Couldn't hardly get 2.4 gigs out of it, finally got annoyed and bought the NF7-S and was able to push past 2.6 gigs..

If I had to guess on your configuation - I'd say you might get 2.2 - 2.3 gigs max out of it since you're only using DDR333.

Keep in mind that's a locked cpu - you would be MUCH better off buying a Mobile-2500 XP if you plan on overclocking - you could probably go much higher.

Last edited:

Seabee

The NF7-S is from Abit, and make sure you get the 2.0 version. As far as getting that CPU, try either http://www.newegg.com or http://www.excaliberpc.com.

the NF7-S are excellent boards. I will get one here once I complete my move to TX. I have read many reviews and read virtually everything here on those boards. They seem to be really excellent OCers, and work well with OC AMD CPUs.

Docta_Z

Seabee said:
As far as getting that CPU, try either http://www.newegg.com or http://www.excaliberpc.com.

I don't think he can - he's in Holland. Look around for XP 2500 Mobile chips in any of your holland cpu stores - I know they're avaliable in the UK, they should be avaliable in continental europe...

nl_rick said:
Such as this one:

GrtZ

Thats it!

The NF7-S is definately what you should go with.

I've been searching the web for a Holland computer store that sells 2500 mobiles but have had no luck so far. :confused: You could try buying it from someone on the forum or getting someone to buy one for you and ship it to you. Although I don't know how much that might cost in shipping.

Last edited:
OP
nl_rick

nl_rick

ahhh ty that you searched for me, I'am just go to a store and order me from somewhere in the world... :attn:

Grtz

dippy_skoodlez

Docta_Z said:
Don't buy an A7N8X... they are not overclocking boards. They are stable and have some decent features, but are by far one of the lowest performing overclocking boards available for ultra400.

I had the A7N8X-Deluxe with a mobile chip. Couldn't hardly get 2.4 gigs out of it, finally got annoyed and bought the NF7-S and was able to push past 2.6 gigs..

If I had to guess on your configuation - I'd say you might get 2.2 - 2.3 gigs max out of it since you're only using DDR333.

Keep in mind that's a locked cpu - you would be MUCH better off buying a Mobile-2500 XP if you plan on overclocking - you could probably go much higher.

A7N8X's are fine for moderate overclocking. The -E is a little better.
My 2500+ locked did 223fsb easily, when my ram hit its wall and stopped me. (on my a7n8x.)
I'm sitting on an a7n8x-E and its a great board. decent overclocking, and rock solid. If anything, the DDR333 will limit his OC more than anything.

Mobile is definatly a better way to go. My a7n8x could keep up with a lot of NF7's, but my DFI is still way ahead.

I would definatly advise AGAINST getting a DFI if your begining out on OCing. It is a VERY quirky board, and takes a lot of taming.

Steelpuma

The A7N8X-E's have ton's of extra stuff like Gb LAN, SATA, ect,

As for OC'ing, With 333DDR and a LOCKED CPU, you won't get very far.