• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Storage on X570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Les_Garten

Registered
I am thinking of buying an ASUS Crosshair VIII X570 or Strix E X570 with an AMD 5900X

Can I run (2) M.2's and (8) Sata Drives?

I read the manuals and it is not clear to me.

What kind of m.2 modules? Pcie or sata based?

If both pcie, I dont think that board drops sata ports. Only if the m.2 drive is sata.

The manual isn't helpful, you're right. Maybe email asus and see?

How do you have 10 total drives? Lol

What kind of m.2 modules? Pcie or sata based?

If both pcie, I dont think that board drops sata ports. Only if the m.2 drive is sata.

The manual isn't helpful, you're right. Maybe email asus and see?

How do you have 10 total drives? Lol

M.2's would be PCIE 4 x4, (2) Firecuda 520

Lots of storage needed and Multiple Operating systems, as well as file serving

Only one socket is pcie 4.0 iirc... the other 3.0 x4.

I reviewed this board and don't recall the breakdown... :chair::facepalm:

I'd email asus and double check... report back!

So I got on asus chat and they say there is no bandwidth sharing and that I can use all the m.2's with the all 8 satas. Also both m.2 are Pciex 4.0

I am going AMD for the first time since 2000! That is if I can get a chip...

Yeah I found AMD Ryzen doesn't drop Sata ports when M.2's are populated. That only happens with intel. I'm using the MSI Tomahawk X570. Using all 6 Sata ports, plus the main M.2 with zero issues. Have used the 2nd M.2 while moving files to the 1st M.2 with zero issues.

Primary M.2 slot runs off the CPU directly. 2ndary M.2 slot shared off the X570 chipset.

That happens with amd ryzen, just not so much on x570 as it has HEDT level pcie panes compared to intel. But b550 is similar with lane sharing.

Yeah I found AMD Ryzen doesn't drop Sata ports when M.2's are populated. That only happens with intel. I'm using the MSI Tomahawk X570. Using all 6 Sata ports, plus the main M.2 with zero issues. Have used the 2nd M.2 while moving files to the 1st M.2 with zero issues.

Primary M.2 slot runs off the CPU directly. 2ndary M.2 slot shared off the X570 chipset.

Do you think there is a performance difference in the two M.2 positions?

Is the M.2 that runs off the CPU the one closest to the CPU usually. The manual doesn't clearly state which ones off the chipset and which port runs off the CPU.

Do you think there is a performance difference in the two M.2 positions?

Is the M.2 that runs off the CPU the one closest to the CPU usually. The manual doesn't clearly state which ones off the chipset and which port runs off the CPU.

The one closest to the CPU is M2#1. Performance difference between #1 & #2 is miniscule. You can't tell the difference.

The one closest to the CPU is M2#1. Performance difference between #1 & #2 is miniscule. You can't tell the difference.

Thanks, I was thinking if I were to only install one M.2 it would be nice to get away from the GPU.

Thanks, I was thinking if I were to only install one M.2 it would be nice to get away from the GPU.

Mine is in the 1st slot right below the CPU, but above the GPU. With the built in M2 heatsink of the board, there's no temp issues. You'll be fine in that regard.

About 6 months ago I picked up 2x intel 665p 1TB and had them both in my STRIX X570-E along with all 8 SATA ports populated and I can confirm this board does it easily with no bandwidth sharing or port dropping. Also, benchmarks on the two NVME drives did not show any noticeable difference between slots.
I realize my setup was run with PCIe 3.0 drives, but the board is supposed to be able to run 2x PCIe 4.0 drives as well.
I have more recently migrated my drive heavy workload to a different machine (X570 TUF Gaming Plus) which can also do with same in drive support as the STRIX.

About 6 months ago I picked up 2x intel 665p 1TB and had them both in my STRIX X570-E along with all 8 SATA ports populated and I can confirm this board does it easily with no bandwidth sharing or port dropping. Also, benchmarks on the two NVME drives did not show any noticeable difference between slots.
I realize my setup was run with PCIe 3.0 drives, but the board is supposed to be able to run 2x PCIe 4.0 drives as well.
I have more recently migrated my drive heavy workload to a different machine (X570 TUF Gaming Plus) which can also do with same in drive support as the STRIX.

Thanx for that info! I see in your sig you are running 3800Mhz memory, any problems getting that to work? Did you use XMP?

Yeah memory overclocking on Ryzen is a little complicated, since there are multiple physical chiplets in the architecture (IIRC for 5000 series each physical chip is treated as a discrete unit, unlike previous where each physical chip was treated as 2 discrete units). By default when overclocking the memory up to a certain speed, IIRC 3733, the FCLK (the clocks peed of the "infinity fabric" which allows the memory controller and various dies to communicate) will try to match the speed of the memory, in a 1:1 ratio. This will be displayed as half the DDR memory speed (so 1800MHz FCLK for 3600MHz memory and so on). Once you exceed a certain speed, either 3733 or 3800 depending on BIOS, your board will force it into a 2:1 ratio, in other words for 4000MHz memory your FCLK will only run at 1000MHz, since it cannot manage 2000Mhz. Some BIOS will also show you a UCLK option, but for practical use you almost always want this to match the FCLK.

In Nebulous' case, merely speculating, he was unable to run the memory at 3800MHz 1:1 and by going to 4000Mhz it kicked the FLCK ratio down to 2:1 allowing it to be stable. My system cannot run a FCLK of 1800MHz either, but given the older hardware and sketchy nature of Ryzen BIOS updates, I'm plenty happy with what it's been able to manage.

Finally unless your usage case specifically thrives on memory bandwidth, performance will usually be better with a 1:1 ratio unless you can reach astronomical memory speed.

Thanx for that info! I see in your sig you are running 3800Mhz memory, any problems getting that to work? Did you use XMP?

Used DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, which made it relatively easy. The kit is the 4400 "Viper Steel" which is just a B-die kit (it does not have an XMP for 3800.)
The IF Is still running 1:1 with those settings, didn't see the need to try to push further.

Last edited:
Back