• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much time do you think you've wasted on games in your life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sadly, I've wasted the better part of eight years gaming online. All of my time went into online games. I was frequently out of a job due to closings and or jobs coming to an end. What did I do? waited until unemployment ran out to get a job. While I waited, I played 18 hours a day. I've shot down more enemy aircraft, circa WWII, than all the pilots during WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam put together.

You're not a true gaming geek until you're into flight sims. Combat flight sim players are the geeks of all geeks... That's not a good thing in my book. As handsome, charming, and witty as I am, it makes me wonder why I bother playing games. Well I guess I help make the small, scrawny, not so attractive geeks feel good about themselves because there I am next to them...

:\/ man I'm an idot!

Ehhhh, flight sims ftl. I'd say the only time I've wasted playing video games was half an hour with Nintendogs, the rest has been gravy.

Wow.. alot of time... When I was young I loved the twisted metal games.. and mario of course.. and digimon games.. and when I moved to PC I loved trek games.. and now im into BF2 and black and white 2 and so on.. I would have to have spent around 5000 hours if not more total.

Back when I was in a clan for Return To Castle Wolfenstein, I was gaming about 70-80 hours a week for 3 months straight. That's upwards of 700 hours in just 3 months. I was very dedicated to it and we became one of the best clans in the USA for RTCW, but after a while I just got burnt out on it.

I can't play any particular game now for more than maybe an hour in one sitting. Since the Wolfenstein fiasco I went through, The Single player of Half Life 2 has been the ONLY game to glue me to my chair for more than 5 hours in one sitting. I could NOT put that game down until I was finished. Of all the games I've ever played, I've never had such a fantastic, cinematic, exciting experience playing a game in my life. HL2 is a masterpiece.

Anyway, it's hard to say how much time total I've spent gaming. It's a lot. I've been gaming since I was 3 years old, and I've never stopped. I'd say I spend anywhere from 1-3 hours a day gaming (though it usually never goes over 2 hours, and it's spread out throughout the day), but I usually bounce between 2-3 games during that period. Sometimes I'll go like 2 weeks without gaming though. It's a spiratic thing.

rainless said:
I'd say FAR less time than I've wasted on women. (And those are just the women I considered a waste of my time.)

I LOL'd when I read that! So true... so true...

I've gotta say if you average my game playing time over the last 10 years or so from when I first started to really play games, I'd say a good 20 hours a week. Theres some weeks in there that I would play for like 80 hours (LAN parties :)) and some where I didnt play at all (out of town :()

I doubt I ever wasted a minute on gaming... I enjoyed the lot and was entertained...

We're in the 21st century.... computer games are as much a waste of time as babes and boobs, as expensaive as babes and boobs and not least and annoying as babes and boobs.

So... never wasted a damn minute... :beer:

flixotide said:
I doubt I ever wasted a minute on gaming... I enjoyed the lot and was entertained...

We're in the 21st century.... computer games are as much a waste of time as babes and boobs, as expensaive as babes and boobs and not least and annoying as babes and boobs.

So... never wasted a damn minute... :beer:

:beer: Right on, dude. I'd say that any hobby is time well spent no matter what it is. My father in-law always said I'd grow out of the video games and fast cars, but here I am 20 years later, still playin' the games and now I have a Mustang GT.

I guess there will always be some party poopers out there that don't understand peoples hobbies, and consider it a waste of time. My girlfriend is into crafts and interior decorating. I can't stand it sometimes, but she really enjoys it, so I'm down with that.

I would rather consider how much time I've wasted on work. Doing things that are fun makes my life enjoyable. This question could better be answered by my wife. lol

I can't even begin to calculate how many hours I've put into Counter-Strike let alone all the other games I've played. I can do a top 3 most played, though.

1. Counter-Strike
2. Starcraft
3. World of Warcraft

I have been gaming since Nintendo...I couldnt even begin to try and grasp how many hours I have spent gaming :bday:

Same with me.

But I only game when there's nothing better to do, so I don't consider it a waste. If I wasn't gaming I would probably just be watching TV which is just as unproductive, probably more. Besides, thanks to gaming, I've gone to lan parties and met some great friends which I wouldn't've done otherwise.

ive wasted seven years so far 1 hour a day in the dark looking like this :drool: lol i hope i typed it in right or else it will say drool instead of showing it teaches me for useing smiles in quick reply lol. Any how i play 1 hour on mondays thru thursdays and i play around 4 hours on friday and 6 on saterday and sunday that varies of course but i hardly consider it wasted. WOW IS FUN .

? Really? is WoW that addictive? I got to level 24 or so and found out it's still too effin hard to go anywhere new since the creeps would pwn me, and so I phased out. I'm back on WC3, which I find ..... addictive. Thank god the numbers are dying down. BTw... do they ever delete your accounts from idleness? I might go back to my account with winter break here.

wizard james said:
hmm..yes but..

For me, theres many other things i could do that would be better then playing games.. But with me, only time i am willing to do anything thats worth time is at 2-3 am, were everyone is sleeping. :beer:

Ah well..il do what i want sooner or later.. *goes and plays battlefield2 .. *

i think there's a point of confusion here i'd like to address, which plays to the title of this thread, and it's this: since we're born there's a sense of "what you should be doing" drilled into us by OTHERS, parents, teachers, everybody; but folks, this is the key: this is what THEY want you to do, not necessarily what YOU want to do; now if YOU really want to go out and climb a mountain, get a career, feed the needy, then by all means DO THAT, but do it because it's what you want to do, not because someone else wants you to do it; i think that's something we all need to come to grips with; often our idea of what we "should" do is not a personal sense of desire, but rather what someone else has told you you're supposed to do

anyway, i'm not saying that playing video games is bad or good, but i think we need to make quality judgments ourselves rather than having someone else's judgments put on us

i tell ya there can be a lot of imagination and inspiration in games; it's an ART; half life 2 for me just screams beautiful design, inspiring, just as any great sci-fi book, minus the lack of story :) of course you ARE the story, albeit a story of shooting stuff

Back