• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much would this crunch??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Well I don't have much exp cruching with Pentium rigs, but a friend of mine is getting rid of a Dual PII-400 that I can grab cheap and was curious about how much you think it could put out? I'm not sure that I'll be able to O/C it much, but will be giving it a shot :D
Thanks!

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I've got one running stock that averages about 12 1/2 hours a WU. It's in a Compaq with an older chipset, so you might squeeze a few extra minutes from it if running it on a BX or so. Overclocking won't be too great on it, I could only get about 50MHz out of it (4 X 112) and this was supposed to be a chip with the good L2. Better heatsink may have done something for me but it was just a generic one.

Couple WUs a day is far from nothing.

papounet

well, as far as I remember, my PII 400 single CPU was in for 10.5 hours per WU. so your dual setup would be doing WU in 5.25 , just slower to a P4 1.7 with SDRAM (5hr/cpu).

Have your friend donate it
( tell him you'll donate the manpower to run it and the power and network costs :) )

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
papounet said:
well, as far as I remember, my PII 400 single CPU was in for 10.5 hours per WU. so your dual setup would be doing WU in 5.25 , just slower to a P4 1.7 with SDRAM (5hr/cpu).

Have your friend donate it
( tell him you'll donate the manpower to run it and the power and network costs :) )

No it wouldn't. It would do two work units in 10.5 hours. SETI is not multithreaded and therefore can't benefit from a dual processor setup... the only way to take advantage of a second processor is to run two instances of SETI.

papounet

OK, my post was unclear. i meant to write what you wrote,
if 1 CPU is 10,5hour/wu, 2 instances of CLI could run on the 2 cPU, giving you 2 WU every 10,5 hr, which would be equivalent to 1 WU every 5,25hr.

No prob.

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
papounet said:
OK, my post was unclear. i meant to write what you wrote,
if 1 CPU is 10,5hour/wu, 2 instances of CLI could run on the 2 cPU, giving you 2 WU every 10,5 hr, which would be equivalent to 1 WU every 5,25hr.

No prob.

Oh... when you look at it that way, I suppose you're right. ;)

Anyway, I'd definitely "take the computer off his hands" so to speak. If you can overclock it a bit, then all the better, but I know I couldn't resist 4 free WU's a day.