• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much would you sell this system for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
I put a few systems up on craigslist to unload and am getting someone asking me for a refund because he finds it too noisy and he can't get his WiFi card working on windows 8.1. I'd feel much more comfortable about telling him he is SOL if I knew I gave him a deal.

The system is a q6600 CPU, 8800gt video card with a fat heatsink, 600gb hdd, and 4gb ram. There's a decent 550w PSU and blu ray drive. Its all enclosed in an HTPC case. The system was wiped and has "special" windows 8.1, though I didn't advertise anything about it having an os.

How much would you guys buy or sell it for? I took 280 on it and thought that was a very good deal.

Tell him he is SOL. Probably just making excuses for his buyers remorse. You have no obligation on craiglist as individual seller.

I would tell him that the Wi-Fi card isn't your problem because it was added in, and that all computers make noise.

He got a solid deal on a working computer, he should be happy with that.

Price is OK for what he got, probably a little high for parting things out, but that's not your problem. It isn't your fault the wifi card that he owns doesn't work with it. He can always go put a different OS on it.

Now I feel much better :)

The guy hasn't messaged me today so it seems he understands I have no interest in taking it back.

Also I got like 10 replies today on a portable air conditioner I put up. This heatwave is helping me fund my next project by selling off old crap. Yay!

Price is OK for what he got, probably a little high for parting things out, but that's not your problem. It isn't your fault the wifi card that he owns doesn't work with it. He can always go put a different OS on it.

Yeah, I figured I'd get less on the classifieds here parting things out and would need to deal with shipping too. Since I had enough parts laying around to build 5 systems I've been selling full systems at garage sales and on craigslist as it involves no shipping or leaving home. This last sale put me over $1000 in computer sales and I still have 2 systems left to unload. Not too bad for stuff that's been on the floor of my computer room for the past year.

Craigslist can be a crap shoot with the responses you get. His WiFi card not working is not your problem. I have sold a lot of systems on CL over the years and basically gave up in the end, too many stupid questions and hassles. I was never able to sell a good gaming system at a decent price. At this point when I sell as system I make sure they try it out before hand and it is SOLD AS IS, NO SUPPORT, what you see is what you get.

ive never had any issues selling on CL but if i did id say too bad buddy it was working just fine and dandy when you bought it anything broke is your own damn fault.

Any time you sell ANYTHING on craigslist, kijiji, a buy and sell newspaper, etc, you are not held responsible for any 'complaints' aside from it being broken or not as advertised. People having buyers remorse and wanting refunds are SOL in the private sale market. Maybe if you sold somebody a completely broken machine, they might have some legal recourse, but generally speaking it is a "Buyer beware" situation. Even if it weren't, you are not responsible for someone being unhappy with 'noise levels' or their ancient wifi card not working with an OS you didn't even include in the price of the machine.

If he's unhappy he can replace the fans in the machine and install Win 7. Or he can get bent. Either one. It's not your problem.

Back