• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Powerful Are Next Gen's Consoles To Todays PC CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Can someone just tell me how powerful the XBOX 360, PS3 are to todays CPU's from AMD and INTEL. Cause from what I've seen while playing Most Wanted at my mates is nothing special than my mate playing it on his AMD 64 3700+ which has 2gb DDR RAM and 160gb SATA Drive and a ATi XT800 256mb AGP Card.

I'm saying the console is bad or totally rubbish just that it slows down in stupid places like in the garage spin the car around. And when that beam of sunlight is behind the car it slows down until it goes off screen.

Gnufsh

They seem to be rather better with single-precision floating point math (especially the cell). This is really only useful for graphics code in games. They are rather worse with double precision and integer math, making them bad for every day use things (web browsing, word processing, etc) and things like artificial intelligence code, as those things use integer math or have lots of conditional statements (which makes them very branchy).

jcw122

The XBOX360 though, does have quad core, which is also clocked very nicely.

castroman

Well from my understanding the way the PS3 procs are they can't run any OS's i know of so i think NextGen console !> PC

K15

AngelfireUk83 said:
Can someone just tell me how powerful the XBOX 360, PS3 are to todays CPU's from AMD and INTEL. Cause from what I've seen while playing Most Wanted at my mates is nothing special than my mate playing it on his AMD 64 3700+ which has 2gb DDR RAM and 160gb SATA Drive and a ATi XT800 256mb AGP Card.

I'm saying the console is bad or totally rubbish just that it slows down in stupid places like in the garage spin the car around. And when that beam of sunlight is behind the car it slows down until it goes off screen.

Don't forget game consoles only usually have to deal with low resolutions and low refresh rates (at least for NTSC). But game consoles are made specifically for gaming. Even in a gaming rig, a computer is still a combination of a lot of things.

darkcrystal

Registered
and dont forget that the consoles only have to run a very small amount of processes in the background. i know the xbox has a very basic operating system for the menus and stuff but im not sure about ps3. on the other hand, pcs have to run a crap load of stuff in the background so it is pretty hard to compare the two.