• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How, roughly, a CPU works. A video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Bobnova

Bobnova

Yeah, it takes a bit.
Whole thing is fascinating though.

Shiggity

Only part I really understood was the problem with the memory hierarchy and caching.

eDRAM vs SRAM

PCI-e SSD Caching

I was hoping they'd talk more about those two topics.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
The part I am most interested in, in today's processors, is literally, their composition. What transistors go where and in what order to achieve which direct product. That fascinates the hell out of me!

OP
Bobnova

Bobnova

He does assume quiet a bit of knowledge i guess, I've always been fascinated by such things so i had a basic idea what was going on.

Conumdrum

It's done in massive, massive layers of dope silicon. They photo cover a pure silicon layer, lay a micro thin layer of more, clean it, redo the layer, do it again and again and again till the whole platter is built. The factories are in the $billions$ to retool for the new equipment every time the move to a smaller die size.

Here it is, it's amazing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/picture...cessor-core-i7.html?xtmc=chip_building&xtcr=4