• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How should I set up my storage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

urbancontra

Due to a recommendation of another here, I've decided to get a sata card for an extra sata drive i have so i can put it to use. But my question is this: Right now I have 2x120 satas in raid 0 running off the southbridge. 1 partition for the os, 1 for storage, and 1 for swapfile.
should i leave it like this, and just use the sata (which will run off the pci bus) for additional storage and back ups? Or would my performance be better if i used the 3rd HD for the os and programs, then used the ich5r raid for storage? any suggestions?

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Use the third drive off the PCI controller as storage. You can leave the drives on the ICH5R as is, but remember to backup anything valuable since data risks are higher on RAID-0 stripes. You would not want to use the bandwidth limited PCI bus since you have an available higher bandwidth connection for the OS.