• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the hell... Installed Windows 7 now PC won't even post.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neural Net

Title pretty much says it all...

So I had the rig (in sig) all set to go from W7 RC to Retail. I uninstalled drivers, took out my 4870 x2, put in my 5870 and backed up my stuff (I sold the x2 so I had to take it out before I installed W7). One weird thing was that windows at that point failed to see one of my hard drives, but I didn't think much of it and disconnected all my drives apart from the one I wanted windows on.

I got through windows install with no problems whatsoever, I pop out and come back to the screen on standby, I tried to wake the display but nothing worked, so I hit the power button to shut it down (I know it didn't go into sleep mode because there was no response in terms of lights on the keyboard). So it restarts, and won't POST. I hear one long beep then 2 short, which is supposedly a Graphics card error, so I take it out, but get the same error message. I swap Ram, try slots, disconnect everything that was necessary to at least get some sort of POST - nothing.

I have tried resetting the CMOS using jumpers and taking out the battery, nothing.

:bang head

Anyone got any ideas?

OP
Neural Net

Neural Net

Did you test the 5870 prior to selling the 4870x2?

Well I didn't have the opportunity to load up proper drivers and run any games.

I left the power disconnected over night, plugged everything back in (HDs, headset, keyboard, mouse etc) and it booted without a problem. I get into windows, says it has installed drivers for my peripherals and HDs and asked me to reboot.

I do that and it doesn't boot again - same problem. So it DOES work, it just refuses to boot reliably, I have no idea what's going on?!?! Is there a setting in the BIOS I should be looking out for? I know that its gone back to stock clocks and flashing the CMOS doesn't seem to help.

:(

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Can you boot into safe mode? Maybe a dodgy driver? Either that or a hardware component is dodgy...

OP
Neural Net

Neural Net

Well I can't get it to POST at the moment. It's ridiculous because it installed Windows 7 without a hitch...

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Do you have a spare hard drive or jump drive? You could do your unplugging trip, install WinXP (or Vista?) on a spare hd or Ubuntu on the USB key and see if you can run some trouble shooting utils (memtest, checkdisk whatever...)

OP
Neural Net

Neural Net

Do you have a spare hard drive or jump drive? You could do your unplugging trip, install WinXP (or Vista?) on a spare hd or Ubuntu on the USB key and see if you can run some trouble shooting utils (memtest, checkdisk whatever...)

Unplug the hard drives and see if it posts...

Well, Windows 7 will now start up, I was getting no BIOS POST before with or without any HDs in. Now the system just freezes after about 10 minutes. I managed to check temps and they're great, around 40 degrees C on the 5870, but massive checker-pattern artifacts pop up on the screen and then it freezes.

I guess I've got a faulty card.

OP
Neural Net

Neural Net

Sure sounds like it RMA time

I'm hoping the motherboard is just throwing an almighty hissy fit. :beer:

if you have another system, try that 5870 in that system and try load some drivers and see if you will boot here

I'm going to try that, I'm also getting a 4850 to see if any other components decided to give up bite the dust in my machine.

Finger crossing time! :)

OP
Neural Net

Neural Net

Nope, RMAing it. I could get it to boot a couple of times, but even if the problem is solvable it's obviously not 100%. Hopefully it won't take too long to get a replacement.