• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOW TO APPLY ARTIC SILVER PROPERLY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B3Master

Registered
im not sure if im suposed to take off the preapplied paste from the heatsink, before applying the artic silver.... I guess so it only seems logic, anyways with what do I scrap the preapplied paste off safly without scratching the heat sink and causing more gaps between the cpu and heat sink, sure it is the artic silver job to fill in, but still to do it as safly as possible with minimal scratches i need help........

thanx in advance

I use a soft paper towel and a good, strong, chloro-flouro-carbon based degreaser. Clean it several times using a clean spot on the paper towel each pass. Use a lot of pressure on the surface and repeat until the spot on the paper towel comes away looking as clean as before you used it.

Hoot

scratch it off with your finger nail then clean it up with denatured alcohol and then Lapp the hsf to a mirror finish then apply a small amount of grease about three times the size of the head of a pin ;D

apply a thin even amount using a razor blade or credit card to the core of the cpu where it meets the HSF.

Check the Artic Silver Web Site. There is a FAQ there. Don't forget to read the technical papers. You will end up lapping your HS and lowering your temps.

Back