• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to backup my whole HD to fire-wire HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

hi all i was just wondering if there was any alternative to norton ghost when it came to making a complete backup of my hard drive, i would use ghost but it does not support my firewire hard-drive to my knowledge :( does anyone know of a way to make a complete backup of my drive to my firewire hard drive or am i out of luck? thanks in advance!

If you want to do an exact image I would say it's going to be difficult to find anything to do it directly to a firewire hard drive. They're fairly new and I've not even seen anything that can do that with a USB hard drive and they've been around a while.

If you have another IDE drive you could transfer to that first and then to the firewire drive, more than likely, but that's the only way I can think of.

ahhh, that is what i was afraid of :( welp thanks for the input Jon i appreciate it! i guess i am just going to have find another hd to back everything up on :)

touser, you are using XP Pro from your sig. Why not
use the built-in windows BU utility? I think it is still
called ntbackup on XP, at least it is on W2K. This
should work fine and there are a lot of options
so you should be able to config it to your liking.

You could always to drag 'n' drop in windows :D

EDIT: This is a joke and totally pointless and time consuming in reality.

Last edited:
Drive image pro?

Does anyone know if it supports firewire?

I think you might have better luck with drive image pro.

Windows Xp pro comes with that file transfer program where you can transfer the image of your current drive and install just like it was later.
As far as I know it works there is no harm in trying!!

PenguinFreak said:
You could always to drag 'n' drop in windows :D

im going to have to do this from IDE to IDE. i'll be shipping
my old HDD to my brother. so all i need to do is click on /C
and drag it over /D for example and it should write all the
stuff to my new hard drive??

then i take the old one out and i'll boot fine with the new one?

I think he was joking. Draging and dropping isn't a good idea.

If you buy a new drive a lot of companies offer programs that will image the new drive with the old drives data.

Maxblast for instance. (maxtor)

Dragging and Dropping does not copy the boot sector. Therefore it will not boot.

IF your firewire drive is anything like my USB drive, if you're willing to void your warranty, you could open the case, and see if the drive inside is IDE. If it is, like my USB drive was, you could put it on an IDE channel, GHOST it, then put it back in the Firewire enclosure.

There are a couple of utilities you can use, ghost being one of them.

The best one I have found is Drive2drive.

Works good, even from within windows

Back