• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to bridge 2 network connections ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desperado84

i have a new motherboard with Dual LAN (Asus A7N8X Deluxe)
i heard that you can bridge the LAN to get faster internet.
my room has to outlets to the internet.
i have plugged them both in, and can get them to work seperately. but don't know how to bridge them
i selected both of them, right clicked, and selected bridge. but it didn't work
help would be welcome
thanks

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Win2K Server/Linux, a router/switch that supports bridging or one of the very few software packages that barely work at doing it are about the only choices you have.

OP
D

Desperado84

running Win XP SP1.
i called my EDU's IT services, and they said they knew how to do it, but weren't allowed to say, as they didn't "officially" support it.

alrox

you cannot bridge anything to get faster network access. Only thing you could do is upgrade the pipe you're on, and since most modern networks are already 100megabits/full duplex, your LAN connection isn't going to be the slowdown, it's typically the WAN. There is no magic solution to get faster internet access.

alrox

Neither of those mean that you can get faster access with 2 network cards. whoever told you that was either pulling your leg or was misinformed.

OP
D

Desperado84

stop talking if you ain't gonna help
evem if it is no speed dif, i wanna know how to do it, if you aren't gonna post about how to do it, DON'T

alrox

I'm posting because there is no way to do what you want to do, and yes it is helping because I'm telling you the only correct answer.

It seems we have some experts here. Ok a slightly different scenario... forget whether it will speed things up for a moment and just answer this... I have a Netgear 4 port Router on Cable. If I install another NIC in this machine and hook it up to a second port on the Router, Can the 2 NIC's be bridged to work together?

alrox

HardwareJedi said:
It seems we have some experts here. Ok a slightly different scenario... forget whether it will speed things up for a moment and just answer this... I have a Netgear 4 port Router on Cable. If I install another NIC in this machine and hook it up to a second port on the Router, Can the 2 NIC's be bridged to work together?

No, that will not make them work together. The *only* link aggregation protocols are known as LACP 802.3ad(the 802.3 standard) and Cisco's Etherchannel. Both sides of the connection have to support the protocol(your machine and the switch you plug into). They only work on 100/1000 megabit connections(no 10mb regular ethernet) and neither of those protocols are supported on consumer level switches or network cards(dlink, smc, netgear, linksys, etc).

This technology is useless for the average end user, who will never fully saturate a 10 or 100mb link just browsing the internet or something like that.