• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to build a 3+ghz, 200+mhz FSB dual Xeon thread...for cheap ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
godofgorks said:
Does that apply for waterblocks too? I'm looking at the Swiftech MCW6002-NX or the MCW6002-PX for my 1.6lv's on a NCCH-DL. Just puzzled me.

Nice stuff though, helping me out tons.

that's a good question...i don't know, have to look into it...

but, the fact that there are two models of water blocks (-NX, Nocona? and -PX, Prestonia?) makes me think there might be a difference...

Yeah, NX is Nocona, while the PX isn't specifically specified, so I figure that mean not Nocona, namely, Prestonia in my case. The water blocks are identical, but the mounting hardware is different. The PX has spring screws with little, metal bases for each screw. The NX has no springs, and some sort of plastic tube bases for the screws.
Price difference is negligible ~ $2.50, just like it to fit though. ;)
I haven't tried posting pics, kind of new, so I’ll pop some links if my description isn't enough. Don't know if that'll be enough to know.
NX - http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-155.html
PX - http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-157.html

Also one might consider adding waterblocks that fit, once figured out of course. That might be of significance, since some might opt to go that direction for cooling.

dustybyrd said:
that's a good question...i don't know, have to look into it...

but, the fact that there are two models of water blocks (-NX, Nocona? and -PX, Prestonia?) makes me think there might be a difference...

NX = XEON
P = Pentium

The blocks are the same, the holes on the mouting bracket are the same for 604/478. I believe that the only difference is the mounting hardware that is included with the block.

Last edited:
P = Pentium 4
PX = Xeon (no more info)
At least that's what I'm seeing. Three different mounting hardware sets.

Uses no screws, just two clips
P - http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-156.html
Uses screws
PX - http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-157.html

Edit - After snooping around Swiftnets.com the PX is Xeon 400 FSB.
Looks like all three could be used, just depending on how you choose to mount it though. They have a picture of a dual, with the P type on the one CPU and the PX on the other. Also the NX relies on the springed backplate. So just depends on personal preference, or doesn the NCCH-DL rely on the springed backplate and that's why other heatsinks must be the Nocona type?
Link - http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw6000.asp
About 1/2 way down you'll see the difference in the three mounting techniques.

Last edited:
godofgorks said:
Edit - After snooping around Swiftnets.com the PX is Xeon 400 FSB.

one thing for sure, and i don't know if it matters in this case, but the 400 fsb xeons are "larger" (due to the larger casing around the chip) than the 533 and 800mhz FSB xeons...and this did make a difference when i mounted the coolermaster heat pipes on the different chips...i had to use different sized screws...

Last edited:
I would probably consider Iwill DN800-SLI as a HI-level performance board. It pricy though, about 400$ but it worth every dollar.

Linky

thanks,

stactum

on the specs for the motherboards, they list the necessary RAM as ECC... but the link is for regular ol' RAM. will my regular pqi turbo memory work on one of these boards? (the NCCH-DL)?

alinosa said:
on the specs for the motherboards, they list the necessary RAM as ECC... but the link is for regular ol' RAM. will my regular pqi turbo memory work on one of these boards? (the NCCH-DL)?

your regular pqi turbo should work with the ncch-dl...ecc ram is not necessary (and you may already know that registered or buffered memory will not work with this board)...

an important factor is the memory being able to run at 2.75v or less...since that's about the max for the ncch-dl without mods...

with the pc-dl, your ram will need to be able to run with just 2.5v or less...which is rare for pc3200+ RAM....now you can mod the board for more VDIMM...

i've heard people mention that having a PSU with two smaller 12V rails that add up to a large amperage is not as stable as having a psu with one large 12V rail. What is the reason for this?

alinosa said:
i've heard people mention that having a PSU with two smaller 12V rails that add up to a large amperage is not as stable as having a psu with one large 12V rail. What is the reason for this?

some people have had problems with dual rail 12v lines with the nocona xeons...i'm not sure if anyone has had any problems running prestonia xeons with dual 12v rail psus...

with the nocona xeons, it's possible that the cpu's could require more amerage than the cpu 12v line can provide...

if these cpus can draw 9-10A or more each with overclocking, then that's more than 18A on one 12v line...

typically the dual rail psu's have 16-18A on each 12v rail...which might not be enough for the nocona xeons...

well, i'm debating whther to go for the ocz 520 or 600...the 520 has 33A on the 12V line and the 600 has a 20A and a 18A line, but i don't know if the bigger line is the one to the mobo or what... when i take the plunge, i'll be grabbing a pair of the 1.6's and crankin' 'em up as far as i can on water.

and BTW, i naver said thanks for putting this together... it's an excellent resource! just when i thought i should start shopping around for some raw number-crunching power... i stumble on this thread.

alinosa said:
well, i'm debating whther to go for the ocz 520 or 600...the 520 has 33A on the 12V line and the 600 has a 20A and a 18A line, but i don't know if the bigger line is the one to the mobo or what... when i take the plunge, i'll be grabbing a pair of the 1.6's and crankin' 'em up as far as i can on water.

and BTW, i naver said thanks for putting this together... it's an excellent resource! just when i thought i should start shopping around for some raw number-crunching power... i stumble on this thread.

no problem on this thread...i figure i owe a little something in return for all the help i have received when i set up a dual AMD xp system (thanks cmcquistion and others)...

i think there were some people over at 2cpu.com had trouble with the OCZ 600, and they thought it was due to the split 12v lines...

if you want OCZ, then i'd go for the 520 model, with 33A on the single 12v line...

that said, DaveB is using a psu with split 12v rails, i think 16 and 18A, and is not having any problems...

there might not be any problems with split rails, unless you use nocona xeons...that draw more amperage...even then there may not be a problem...

In regards to the PSU, i am running dual 2.4 LV xeons and when i crank them up too high (3.3-3.4 range) I get random reboots. I also get other weird USB errors and USB devices malfunctioning and I am thinking it might be my PSU. I have a dual 12V rail (18 amps each) sparkle/fortron.

I have since ordered a new one with one 36 amp rail from newegg which should be here by the middle of this week, I will be sure to report back whether or not this fixes my instability at higher speeds and rebooting issues.

Back