• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to build a 3+ghz, 200+mhz FSB dual Xeon thread...for cheap ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question..

I am running into "Not enough ram to play BF2 without crashing" issue

Current system

2x 1.6 Ghz Xeon at 3.01 Ghz
2x 512 Patriot Ram
PC-DL Mobo

If I ad another 2x 512 Patriot chips, Would this be a advisable solution? I remember reading that having too much ram can cause stability issues for overclocked machine..

Or should I dump my 2x 512 and get 2x 1GB patriot ?

Anythoughts..
Thanks
Joe

I am looking at building a stable 2.4 dual xeon system for audio / studio recording.

I would like to be able to overclock it safely to 3.2 on each processor...
Please help me out with some of these questions:

Is the (2) Intel Xeon 2.40GHZ / 1.5V 1MB L3 SL7D4 M0 noticibly better in my application then the (2) Intel Xeon 2.40GHZ /1.3V SL74T D1 (cost me $100 more for both)

What is the easiest motherboard to tweak and get to overclock these processors, I dont want to have to solder anything...

What operating system will use both processors (win xp pro) (win 2003?) I want to make sure both cpu's are working.

Lastly will i truly have 6.4Ghz of power (dual 3.2) or is the machine going to perform more like a single oh lets say 4Ghz processor?

Thanks in advance...

the lv d1 should run you just fine if you only want to go 3.2

the mo will OC better but that's your choice...

3.2 ghz of power... SMP just allows multitasking to never slow down the computer so it won't feel fast, but it won't feel slower...

manu4jc said:
I am looking at building a stable 2.4 dual xeon system for audio / studio recording.

I would like to be able to overclock it safely to 3.2 on each processor...
Please help me out with some of these questions:

Is the (2) Intel Xeon 2.40GHZ / 1.5V 1MB L3 SL7D4 M0 noticibly better in my application then the (2) Intel Xeon 2.40GHZ /1.3V SL74T D1 (cost me $100 more for both)

What is the easiest motherboard to tweak and get to overclock these processors, I dont want to have to solder anything...

What operating system will use both processors (win xp pro) (win 2003?) I want to make sure both cpu's are working.

Lastly will i truly have 6.4Ghz of power (dual 3.2) or is the machine going to perform more like a single oh lets say 4Ghz processor?

Thanks in advance...
As you can see the first rig listed in my sig is a DH800 v1.0 I've done no hardware mods except the BESL mod using U wires in the socket and insulating one of the CPU pins. No soldering was needed to get what you see. I have a much more complete description of that rig in my profile. Click on my avatar to get to it.

NCCH-DL is second and the PC-DL will require lots of soldering to make it fly but ultimately the PC-DL will OC the most if you don't break it along the way.

BTW there is a swelling/leaking capacitor issue with the older DH800 rev 1.0 boards. It's easily fixed but most likely you will end up with a rev 1.2 if you buy new.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=437370

...getting ready to buy the parts to make my 1.6lv D1 duallies (#4 systems in all!!) on PC-DL's and I'm stuck on the case. I've been thinking about the antec slk3000b all along but am now having second thoughts...

instead of this:
Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

I'm now considering this as an alternative:
CHENMING CMUI-P-601AEB-0 Black 1.0mm SECC Server Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125480

which should I go with? What would YOU go with??

edit: went with the chenming.... has tons of space and can accomodate e-atx should I ever go dual socket 940 when prices drop : )

horray beer

Last edited:
Update*...My D1 1.6 dually is running perfectly..has been for over a year now at 3.0g with the hyperthreading too. Looks cool to see 4 procs recognised on boot up! bTW, I am running the NCCHL Naccona board. No complaints here! :bday:

Update here too:
1.6D @ 3.2 24/7 for over 13 months (installdate for Windows is 10.04.05) rock stable and only rebooted when a new update to Windows is out.

I had one crash in november and that is the only one since I was done testing PRIME95 and ended at [email protected] voltage late april 2005.
The machine is whisper quiet with Coolermaster E3W-NPTXC-01s and a single 900 RPM 120mm fan and overall this is my best system ever. (4 dual and 5 sp previously)

Thanks a lot dustybyrd and everyone else here at ocforums that convinced me to buy the D1's.

help

I have an Asus NCCH-DL, 2x 2.4 Xeon SL7D4 (M0 step 1Mb L3), 2x 1024Mb OCZ Gold Edition GX XTC 2-3-3-8 Ram, Chiefmax 680W (36A) PSU... setup.

The problem is I can only seem to get 2.95Ghz ... I read you guys had 3.0 easy and some got 3.2 and 3.4.... What am I doing wrong?

In the bios I have it set to 18x164 the max is 18x165 but that always hangs on me.

The system runs cool (I have it watercooled well) (runs at 35C-40C)

I just thought I could get 3.2 out of them each.

here is the cpu-z link: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=99970

what do you guys think? what should I do / change?

Check just right of the northbridge for a six pins and two jumpers. This controls the maximum FSB the board will let you use. The default is for "auto". Removing all the jumpers and putting it on the bottom right and the one right above it unlocks 200-220fsb. Just make sure to lower your multi beforehand.

edit:typos. It was early

Last edited:
Very good info Pat. Also, did you do a droop & v-dimm mod on your board as the sticky dierects? Its really helps.

vdimm helped a LOT in the case of my pc-dl and bh-5. In my friends ncch-dl, he hit 200 with value ram and stock ram voltage.

I forget if you mentioned this, max out the chipset voltage. Also, make sure you do the pin mod if you haven't.

Dual cpu configs should have already been the mainstream. 2 of everything. Backups out of the box. DVD-DVD burning. Dual monitors. 2 nics. you name it. My new cellphone has a dual cpu (TI OMAP 850 200 MHz) figuratively speaking. I'd like to have one box that is a server as well as a desktop. A separation of internet & daily use if you will.
Excellent guide

habbajabba : I agree, and hopefully we are moving that way now. DC processors, graphics cards with 2xDVI-I, motherboards with 2x PCIe16x. I saw the dual-light in 99 and the only sad point is that no one else I know has. (My HTC Wizard (Qtek 9100) also has the OMAP 850 btw)

pwnt by pat said:
Check just right of the northbridge for a six pins and two jumpers. This controls the maximum FSB the board will let you use. The default is for "auto". Removing all the jumpers and putting it on the bottom right and the one right above it unlocks 200-220fsb. Just make sure to lower your multi beforehand.

edit:typos. It was early

can I get a little help?! ~ when you say remove "all" the jumpers are you talking about every jumper on the board or just the ones that control fsb? I easily got to 200x16 with 1.6 sl6xk's and have been prime stable for 18+hours... I want more :drool: :drool:

thanks!

alright ~ I'm already there ... where do I go in BIOS to get 220?

thanks

...:bang head: I need slapped - found it and what's a good multi to start from?

:beer:

Last edited:
start from the lowest multi. You'll want the highest fsb you can support.

tecton, you may be limited by the fact that the pc-dl only feeds the ram 2.5v. You many want to consider the ram volt mod. It's simple, cheap, and extremely effective.

Back