• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cool down VCore temp On a ASRock 970 Extreme 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xalegion

Hi there, hope this is the right section anyway as title says i have a problem with Vcore Temps, i use my computer for Gaming and Streming, i have literally 0 problem about temperature while i play any game but as i start streaming Dota 2 (a game based on cpu work) i got some insane fps drops, after few reserch it comes up the problem is coming from the Vcore temps, since i have a AMD FX 8350 my cpu start underclocking for a fast cooling then it come running as usually

This problem is quite frequent and i have aldready disabled Turbo Core control and Termal Throttling on bios.

I have a ASRock 970 Extreme 4 as MOBO and i'm wondering if theres any way to mod it for cooling down the vcore much faster and with efficency

The CPU is air cooled with : Shadow Rock 2 by Be Quiet

And standard temps while gaming are around 55°

i dont have much money atm to afford a new MOBO or a new (maybe even liquid) CPU cooler

Sorry for my english btw, as yoou can guess english is not my first language

Tír na nÓg

You can a dd a fan onthe back of the CPU socket, and add active cooling on the VRM's.

Thing is, as Scotty says, the Extreme4 is not really up to the task for a 8350.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I agree with the gents above. Get some fans on the backside of the mobo and on the VRM section of the board and it should help the issue. What case do you have and how many fans are in it?

trents

You said "vcore" but that is an incorrect reference. Vcore is the voltage to the cores. What you are talking about and what we are suggesting remedies for is the overheating of the "VRM" section of the motherboard. VRM=Voltage Regulation Module which are components that live in the CPU socket area.

OP
X

Xalegion

Oh right, thats the vrm not the vcore, sorry for the miss

I have an Xpredator X3 (older version, the one bigger and with 4 fans on the left side heres the pics

20170124_170920.jpg

asd.jpg

I actually cant figure out where i should put fans on the mobo back :/

Anyway i can even start saving money for a new mobo, maybe one that can handle the 8350 better

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
A couple of things I see, try putting the stock AMD backplate on the Heatsink. That solid backplate isn't helping you any, you can also mount a small 80 mm fan using double sided tape onto it. It looks like with that cpu heatsink and Gpu Rad, you may have issues putting a fan on the VRM section of the board. Is it possible to mount the rad and fan for the Gpu up top? As far as saving money for an AMD board, you may be better suited just waiting on Ryzen to come out and get a new Cpu and Gpu. That's your call though.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I'm also seeing the gpu rad is just getting the heat off the cpu sink. I'll bet the gpu temps aren't that great because of it.

OP
X

Xalegion

i actually have no problem with the gpu, i have just streamed and played for 4 hours and max temp was 47° for the gpu

The top slot for the fan is in use by a 140mm fan, i can put the gpu radiator on the bottom anyway but, idk if tahts a good idea actually

About of the back 80mm fan, it wount fit, well it can but i wouldnt be allowed to close the case anymore

trents

i actually have no problem with the gpu, i have just streamed and played for 4 hours and max temp was 47° for the gpu

The top slot for the fan is in use by a 140mm fan, i can put the gpu radiator on the bottom anyway but, idk if tahts a good idea actually

About of the back 80mm fan, it wount fit, well it can but i wouldnt be allowed to close the case anymore

Make a cut out in the case side.