• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to delete one stuborn file ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

I have file that I tried to download and I got some corrupted piece of that... Now I can't delete it
It is on Desktop and there is no chance of me removing it :/

I tried to delete it with some other files... but no go Any ideas ?

BTW it's Win XP and I have admin rights...

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Reboot into safemode and delete the file from there. If that dosen't work (unlikely), see if the recovery console can delete the sucker! :)

JigPu

XunknownX

Disabled
When I have a file that won't delete, I will run the msdos prompt. And type the directory path and file name and poof it's gone. No questions asked, no confirmation, it's just gone.

for example:

c\> del c:\program files\jaja\crap.avi

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You could also give this a try...close all open programs, and click Start | Run | Type taskmgr.exe and click OK. Leave Task Manager open, and click Start | Run | Type cmd and click OK. Leave the Command Prompt window open, go to Task Manager and click the "Processes" tab; "End Process" on "Explorer.exe". Go to the Command Prompt window and navigate to the file that you'd like to delete, and enter del <filename>. Go back to Task Manager | Click "File" | New-->Task | Enter explorer.exe to restart the GUI.

The following MSKB article may also be of some help to you...

You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder :)

OP
M

Melhisedek

Thanks guys! Now I see how little I know, but luckily for me I have you mates =)

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!