• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to download W10 without the media creation tool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

Worst. Operating System. EVER.

I'm trying to use the Media Creation Tool from Microsux to install a clean Windows 10 Home (64) on a new Dell notebook. Can't swap out the HDD because it doesn't have one. That's the first bit of fun. My current problem is the media creation tool claims I don't have a USB flash drive. Except I do, and Windows 7 sees it just fine. All 8 GB of it. I tried formatting it in FAT32 and NTFS and no dice either way. Am I missing something obvious? I've been screwing with this thing for two days and I'm lost.

The notebook won't reset for some reason and I'm about to call Dell and say impolite things about Michael Dell and M$ and Windows 10X-more-trouble-than-it's-worth. :bang head

Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to go through M$' site again to see if I can find something useful.

SOLVED> I'll put the fix in this post to make it more useful. Also changing the title for searches. :D

If you want to download W10 without the media creation tool, here's how. Use an Apple or Linux. Don't have one of them? I still have a solution for you.
Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 in IE. Press F12 and slect the Emulator Tab in the bottom window and open the menu next to User agent string and select iPad. The web page will automatically refresh and offer you a Windows 10 download free of their stupid media creation tool, which doesn't work with most Sandisk USB drives. You won't need a product key to download it either. It's useful for replacing bloatware versions on prepackaged units (Dell, Hp, etc.). Close your browser afterwards and all goes back to normal next time you open it. Win/win. Unless you're Microsux-and who cares about them?

Last edited:
The problem is the Windows 10 tool doesn't see any flash drives. My workaround is to change the User Agent String in my browser to make M$ think I'm an iPad. That lets me download an actual .ISO without the stupid media creation tool. I'll use Rufus to make a bootable .ISO from the download. M$ cut off downloads of W10 to anyone on a M$ OS, you have to use the flawed and failed tool they give away for free (and worth only half that). So I'm an iPad right now downloading a W10 .ISO from M$. LOL

The problem is the Windows 10 tool doesn't see any flash drives. My workaround is to change the User Agent String in my browser to make M$ think I'm an iPad. That lets me download an actual .ISO without the stupid media creation tool. I'll use Rufus to make a bootable .ISO from the download. M$ cut off downloads of W10 to anyone on a M$ OS, you have to use the flawed and failed tool they give away for free (and worth only half that). So I'm an iPad right now downloading a W10 .ISO from M$. LOL

The MCT does not have to be run on the system it is intended for if that helps any. I'm not entirely sure which system you're trying to create it on but I ultimately had to use another PC to do my swap out on a laptop to RAID (also a dell). Huge pain in the *** but once I gave up and used the MCT it was pretty smooth. I was hoping to save the recovery partition but unfortunately it isn't possible as Dell does not have any reinstallation media that includes this. They do have recovery media (I have one) but it does not restore the recovery partition and reinstalls everything but treats it like a desktop install.

You have tried more than 1 USB stick? I would also try formatting the stick with diskpart just for grins. Running clean all and formatting by hand sometimes helps with stubborn sticks

You have tried more than 1 USB stick?

what ive read it really like scandisk cruisers and the like. theres certain ones like scandisk glide and some other it doesnt like. p big fail on microsharts part.

Tried Rufus?

Rufus worked.

Create the usb on another system....

That's what I was trying to do. M$ won't let you download W10 on a system running W7/8/8.1 any way but their Media Creation Tool. I had to spoof the download page by changing the User Agent String to iPad.

hat ive read it really like scandisk cruisers and the like. theres certain ones like scandisk glide and some other it doesnt like. p big fail on microsharts part.

Yeah, I'm using a Sandisk Cruzer Drive, but Sandisk apparently met some M$ standard to allow them to be recognized as a regular drive, so W10 can't recognize it as a USB drive.

You have tried more than 1 USB stick?

I only have one flash drive. :(

I ended up getting the recovery media downloaded from Dell (with all the trashware Dell provides :bang head). I couldn't install a clean W10 because Dell uses a GPT partition and W10 claims to format before install, but gets hung up claiming it can't install on GPT. The drive isn't removable, either. I'm trying to install the recovery OS from the flash drive now, but it seems hung at 44%. Next step will be trying to connect it to my rig via USB and partition the drive from my Disk Management.

edit: Up to 45%, so maybe it's working.

That's what I was trying to do. M$ won't let you download W10 on a system running W7/8/8.1 any way but their Media Creation Tool. I had to spoof the download page by changing the User Agent String to iPad.
Lol, screwed by the tinfoil hat. Thats just priceless. You guys cant win... :(

Im shocked that statement is true though. Enough so, i dont believe it. Why would they do that?? It couldnt create it using the media creation tool????

Sounds like its the drive man..... ive got a frikin dozen that would work. Never bave i seen that before... what kind of usb drive is permantetly a hdd? Makes no sense, what im reading...

Second post.
https://superuser.com/questions/957228/windows-10-media-creation-tool-we-cant-find-a-usb-flash-drive

11 pages of W10 MCT woes.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...b/52d51e02-81a8-42cb-b713-f49449464dfd?auth=1
It's Microsoft's tinfoil hat that won't let you download W10 directly on to an OS from them (7 and up), not mine.

Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Then change the User Agent String in developer's tools to iPad, under the emulator tab. (F12>Emulator>User Agent String>iPad from the menu) You'll be offered a direct .ISO download because your OS doesn't support the tool. Same with Linux. Just because I don't like W10 doesn't mean I'm wrong. :nuts:

LOL

Your second link was consistently bitching about the sandisk drive... as is the first. Its the drive no? Im mean w10 is derpy with that sandisk, but, any others? Also, WHY is the important question to ask to assign blame. What in the sandisk drive is making windkws react this way?

Other drives can use 7/8/8.1 to install, right? Just not the derpy sandisk?

Last edited:
That would appear to be the case. Sandisk claims it's because they met some M$ standard with their flash drives, putting the ball back in the m$ court. So it's their word against M$' silence. I tend to believe Sandisk, but I already know the response to that.... :D Either way, it would be a lot easier if the W10 OS could be downloaded with a product key on Windows systems without jumping through hoops and pretending to be an iPad.

it would be a lot easier if the W10 OS could be downloaded with a product key on Windows systems without jumping through hoops and pretending to be an iPad.

Every time I am about to give Win10 another chance (just reinstalled 7 and thought about doing an upgrade instead) I am vindicated by these types of threads. Win10 RIP :D

Either way, it would be a lot easier if the W10 OS could be downloaded with a product key on Windows systems without jumping through hoops and pretending to be an iPad

There is... dont use the ONE damn sandisk drive that doesnt work. Id call it bad luck considering it works with every other drive and 7/8/8.1...

Get another usb stick...

It isn't just one Sandisk, it seems to be most of them. Seeing as how Windows 7/8/8.1 all see them and the one M$ tool for W10 can't see it, I'm wondering what's wrong with the tool? Windows 10 sees the drive when it's installed, too. And it's not like Sandisk is some minor player in the flash drive community. Maybe being able to use their drives to install M$' Holy Grail OS would be a good idea, at least for M$.

Oh well.. good to know.. a couple of SD drives of the hundreds of others dont work. Figures a w10 detractor gets a hold one, lolololol!

Now go drop $5 and get another damn usb stick in the house!! Or, ffs, ill send you one. ;)

Every time I am about to give Win10 another chance (just reinstalled 7 and thought about doing an upgrade instead) I am vindicated by these types of threads. Win10 RIP :D

In all fairness, this began after trying to delete bloatware from a Dell with only 32 GB storage that isn't removable. If I had left it alone I wouldn't be having these issues. I wanted to install a clean version of W10. Why and how Dell uses a GPT partition is beyond me.

Oh well.. good to know.. a couple of SD drives of the hundreds of others dont work. Figures a w10 detractor gets a hold one, lolololol!

Now go drop $5 and get another damn usb stick in the house!! Or, ffs, ill send you one. ;)

As much fun as I'm having with this debate (LOL), Sandisk is probably one of, if not the, biggest makers of flash drives. It's a very common problem that M$ decided to ignore. I found a work around that I prefer to the "official" method. And I get to use my Sandisk. :clap:

Back