• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Recently I asked a member on here by the name of c627627 he's kindly giving me info on how to dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 below is the conversation we had an I've pasted it in quotes feel free to ask any questions about this topic as more help on it would be greatly appreciated.

Original question

Hi c627627

In the Windows 10 The Next Chapter Thread you posted about dual booting Win 7 and 10 together without having to sacrifice your Win 7 install, I have 4 drives in my PC 1 SSD for my current Win 7 install 2x 1 TB drives for games and one as a back-up for large game installs music etc and a second 128GB SSD with just Starcraft 2 on.

If I remove my Win 7 current drive and then on the 2nd 128GB SSD install a fresh install of Win 7 and then install Win 10 via the USB install after activation Win 7 on it once done I can then reconnect my Win 7 drive and would it Dual Boot straight away.

Also what are the chances of OS corruption when I tried to dual boot XP/7 after a week I would get corruption on my Win 7 install and would have to re install it again.

Download EasyBCD for free by adding any email and name to get the download

After you finish installing Windows 10, only then reconnect your old drive with Windows 7 on it.

Windows 10 should still boot fine.

Go here: https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison and install EasyBCD.
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Use EasyBCD to switch between the OS you want to reboot into.
Post a question if you don't know how to use EasyBCD.

Once you have installed Windows 10 on another drive/partition below is what do to next.

You should be able to connect Windows 7 drive now, then boot into Windows 10 (if it doesn't boot into Windows 10, set the drive where Windows 10 is installed as the first boot drive in BIOS.

Boot into Windows 10 with Windows 7 drive connected then install EasyBCD inside Windows 10 and use it to quickly control the default OS.

Here's how I set it up:

Do not set Bootloader timeout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at boot up by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS. Download Page: http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1 [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Tools > Options >
CHECK: Expert mode
CHECK: Remember the BCD Backup directory upon exit
UNCHECK: Everything else

Display Options TAB:
Default TAB at start up: Edit Boot Menu
CHECK: Everything else

If you have more questions copy-paste our entire conversation and start a new thread, you can PM the link to a thread but things like this need to be in a thread where other people can learn too.

Back