• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to fix .bin file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I don't know what has changed, when I down load a firmware (.bin file) and It look like this, please see attach picture. Look like it want to open with notpad. But I don't want to open. I want the .bin file only so that I can upgrade my drone. If I copy this file into my SD card and the drone won't see it. How can I fix this? can any one help. Thank you.

PS. There is no option to change (Pick an App or None)

Bruce

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I need the .bin file to look like this see picture attach below. This .bin file download from a different computer.

Attachments

• bin.PNG
    bin.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 74
  • bin 2.PNG
    bin 2.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I would check with the Drone maker's website to see if they offer instructions on how to update the firmware of the Drone. They may have a program which allows you to perform the update.

If not this...
I would check with the Drone maker's website to see if they offer instructions on how to update the firmware of the Drone. They may have a program which allows you to perform the update.

Perhaps you have .bin files associated to open with Notepad?

Try this:
Open Command Prompt (Start Menu > type 'cmd' > Press enter)

Type "assoc .bin= " (without the quotation marks, note the space after the equals sign)

This will un(assoc)iate the .bin files from being opened with any program. You can then associate it with whatever you would like.

Edited February 15, 2017 by haze1434

Open Command Prompt (Start Menu > type 'cmd' > Press enter)

Type "assoc .bin= " (without the quotation marks, note the space after the equals sign)

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/40095-bin-files-opening-in-notepad/

EDIT: Maybe make your thread title say what the content is instead of expressing location concerns. Descriptive thread titles get moar views. :thup:

Last edited:

I can upgrade drone firmware via my phone and drone app. But I find it is much faster by doing it thru the sd card.

If not this...

Perhaps you have .bin files associated to open with Notepad?

Try this:

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/40095-bin-files-opening-in-notepad/

Earthdog. I tried your suggestion. Assoc .bin= enter and I got error occurred while processing: .bin message.

or it also giving me access denied.

Did you use an elevated command prompt? (admin)? If not, I would try that and see.

Last edited:
Did you use an elevated command prompt? (admin)? If not, I would try that and see.

Earthdog. I have to enter cmd prompt run as administrator and type in assoc .bin= spacebar and enter. I saw the screen do a very quick flash. I exit cmd prompt. Its still not fixing it. Am I missing anything here?

I'm not sure if you get a return after it completes. Looks like you're typing the command in correctly. I've never done the process myself. Just searched for what looked to be a similar issue. I was hoping that by disassociating what opens the file, it might not change it. ;)

I assume that file still reads as a notepad file after a reboot?

EDIT: Can you just rename the file to XXXXX.bin?

EDIT2: And to be clear, when you click the CHANGE button there aren't any options in that next window?

OK. I found a youtube tutorial and was able to fix this problem. Earthdog, Thank you so much for trying to help me out.
Here is the youtube video if anyone is interested down the road.

Attachments

• bin 3.PNG
    bin 3.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 20
Back